All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   Page 1 of 4
 [ 70 posts ] 
Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next »  Page:

Post subject: Guide to level 99 in all skills.
PostPosted: August 4th, 2007, 9:51 am 
Village Elder
Village Elder

Donor: Guardian (2003)
Introduction:
First off, I want to make it clear that this guide is not the definitive tome of how to level each skill to level 99, however, it is simply a compilation of the information that I have gathered while playing RuneScape over the years. Feel free to add your suggestions if you know of a better way to level any of the skills.

Second, I don’t have 99 in every skill (currently only in seven skills), although I know many who have 15 or more 99 skills, and using everyone I know, all skills are covered.

Third, I have looked all over the place for tips on how to get to 99 in particular skills. I have not been able to find a concise guide that gives tips on every skill, so I thought I would put one together.

Lastly, I have placed them into two categories. The first is skills that you can buy your way to level 99. The second is skills that you have to do all the work.

Skills you can purchase:
Construction:

1) Do it yourself method:
a) Important note: A major reason construction was added was to deplete a person’s finances. There is no way to do construction without spending a large amount of money. So, on that note, the do it yourself method is slightly cheaper than the Purchasing the skill method.
b) Utilize the Kingdom of Miscellania: Max out the Teak and Mahogany spot, and make them into planks.
c) Chop your own logs (Oak, Teak, or Mahogany).
2) Purchasing the skill:
a) Purchase planks already made.
b) Utilize a Demon Butler to get items from your bank quicker.

Cooking:
a) Fish all of your own food (working towards 99 fishing).
b) Be a Clan Chef.
c) Trade Cooked sharks for raw sharks. This method requires some time to do it, but I know that some people who already have 99 cooking, and need the sharks for Melee training, would rather trade for the cooked instead of cook it themselves.
d) Utilize the Kingdom of Miscellania: Max out the fishing and make sure they are raw and not cooked.
2) Purchasing the skill:
a) Monks are the fastest way to level fishing, so go to the Piscatoris Fishing Colony and purchase all the raw monks you need. Since that is a big spot for people working on 99 fishing, there will be people with tons of fish. Monks are also a lot cheaper than sharks and better experience than lobbies. Cooked Monks are fairly easy to sell. So you can buy in small amounts, cook, and then sell the cooked to get more money to buy more raw Monks.
b) Buy raw sharks and sell the cooked ones.

Crafting:
a) Gather Seaweed/Sand, Dragon Hide, and Gems etc. and craft them into the appropriate things. There are too many things that can be done on your own to list everything, so I will leave the minuscule details for you to determine on your own.
b) Making Dorgesh-Kaan light orbs.
c) Offer free crafting while in a bank. After you get to a fairly decent level, more people will want you to craft things for them.
d) Trading jewelry for gems, i.e.: Dragon Stones, Diamonds, and Rubies.
2) Purchasing the skill:
a) By far the easiest thing to purchase is Dragon Hides, namely Blue Dragon Hides. Though you tend to get a net loss from purchasing hides then alching. If you find a good supplier or two, you can get to 99 fairly quickly.
b) Silver ore/bars can be purchased and then make Holy Symbols.

Farming:
a) Gather seeds from thieving or NPC drops and plant as you get them.
b) Utilize Kingdom of Miscellania: There are a couple of fields that you can adjust to help you get seeds. Trees (Maple/Teak/Mahogany) will get some tree seeds, while the Farming section will get you farming seeds and some tree seeds.
c) Trade Herbs for like herb seeds.
2) Purchasing the skill:
a) Buy all the seeds that you need, focusing on Magic/Yew/Palm/Calquat seeds as well as high level herb seeds.

Firemaking:
a) Utilize Kingdom of Miscellania: Max out the Tree options, and let them accumulate the logs. This can be done at what ever speed you want, because the more money you put in, and keep the Approval rating high, the more logs you will get. A side benefit will be Nests (for Herblore) and Tree seeds (for Farming). Eventually, you will have enough logs to get you to your goal. Now all you need is the time to do it.
b) Chop a tree down and burn the logs as you go. Many people work this method so that they can train Woodcutting at the same time. This is slow, but will taking care of two skills at once. The tree you cut should change depending on your level of Woodcutting. I have seen many people cutting/burning Yew logs, and only a few cutting/burning Magic logs.
c) Utilize the mini-game Shades of Mort’ton, burning pyre logs offer a fair amount of Firemaking experience.
2) Purchasing the skill:
a) An inexpensive way would be to go to free worlds and check the General Stores for logs; you will find several different types of logs there. Purchase them for very little money and then light them.
b) Check the forums and purchase large quantities of inexpensive logs, Willows are often sold on free worlds in Draynor Village.

Fletching:
a) Chop your own logs, pick your own flax.
b) Utilize the Kingdom of Miscellania: Max out the tree settings and make Maple bows, leaving them unstrung. Can also have the servants gather flax for you.
c) Chop lower level trees, have a knife in your inventory, fill your inventory, then make bows, drop the unstrung bows, and continue.
d) Have nature runes in your inventory, pick 24 flax, and spin into bowstring. With knife, axe, and natures in your inventory, chop a magic log; make a magic bow, then alch. Chop two magic logs, make into bows, then alch. Chop three logs, make bows then alch. Repeat the process until you are out of bowstrings. Then load up on bowstrings and repeat the whole process again.
2) Purchase the skill:
a) Buy Yew/Magic logs, Natures and bowstring, make bows. High Alch the bows and use the money to purchase more supplies.

Herblore:
a) Utilize the farming skill by planting herbs in all five herb patches
b) Gather herbs dropped by NPCs: Aberrant Specters, Druids etc.
c) Utilize the Kingdom of Miscellania: Max out the Herb spot for herbs, and the farming spot for seeds.
d) Trade potions for herbs once you have a decent level, and enough stock.
e) Trade Brimhaven agility tickets for Toadflax and Snapdragon herbs.
f) Trade Pest Control points for Herb packs.
2) Purchase the skill:
a) Buy all the herbs, vials and seconds that you need.
b) Buy herb seeds (helps farming too).

Magic:
a) RuneCraft all of the runes you need, i.e.: Nature, Laws, and Death etc.
b) Using the Natures you crafted, high alch the items you made from other skills. Principally, Fletching, Crafting, and Smithing.
c) Repeatedly teleport to Camelot.
d) Apply Pest Control points to Magic
e) Mini-games where magic can be used.
2) Purchasing the skill:
a) Purchase all of the runes you need, either from shops for from Players.
b) Purchase items to High Alch.
c) Mini-games where you can use magic.

Prayer:
a) Bury every bone you come across, and only train on things that drop big bones, or dragon bones.
b) Kill Zogers to get the casket key, and get the higher experienced bones.
c) Put all bones you gather through the Bone Grinder or a Gilded Altar.
d) Apply Pest Control points to Prayer.
2) Purchasing the skill:
a) Purchase all of the dragon bones you need, and put them through the Bone Grinder or Gilded Altar.

RuneCrafting:
a) Mine all of your own essence.
b) Gather essence dropped by NPCs.
c) Save all talismans, and make into tiaras.
d) Once you have gained level 91, make double Natures for people.
2) Purchasing the skill:
a) Purchase all of the essence you need for your goal.
b) Once you are able to make Laws, go and make Laws for people until level 91.

Smithing:
a) Mine all the ore you need to get to your goal. (Gold ore, Iron ore etc.)
b) Gold smithing gauntlets can be used to increase exp per Gold ore.
c) You can mine, smelt and smith everything you need. I know someone who did that.
d) Utilize the Kingdom of Miscellania: Max out the coal production to help in getting the needed supplies.
2) Purchasing the skill:
a) Buy all the ores/bars you need to get to your goal. High alch or sell off items that you make. Arrows, bolts, and knives can be sold quicker than nearly all of the armor. Knives give you the quickest turn around since you don’t have to add feathers or shafts.
b) Once you reach 85 smithing, start buying runite ores, and coal. Smelt into bars and sell the bars for a small profit. Utilize the blast furnace to use less coal… 4 instead of 8 per ore.

Skills you have to do:
Agility:
Probably the best course in RuneScape is the Ape Atoll course. However, it isn’t the best course if you can not complete it without falling. I would suggest that you stick to the lower courses until you are around level 50 agility. Once there, move to the Brimhaven Agility course, and start collecting tickets. Hold onto the tickets until you get 1,000 tickets. With your Brimhaven gloves on, you will get a whopping 352k agility experience (not including the experience you gained while doing the course). If you did that at level 50, you would get 15 agility levels. Do that again, for another 352k experience and you will go to level 70 agility. I would stay in the Brimhaven agility course for a total of 4k tickets, making you roughly level 77 by the time you left. Now it is time to go to the Ape Atoll, and fall a lot less than before.

Fishing:
The Piscatoris Fishing colony is the only place where Monk fish can be caught. Monks offer more fishing experience than Sharks do, and Monks are caught at about the same rate that Lobsters are caught at. So, you can get the fastest fishing experience by fishing Monks. As someone pointed out, you can "purchase" the skill by purchasing feathers and bait (I will change the format and move this into the above section.)

The fishing trawler mini-game can be a fun break from fishing, and still get fishing exp, so grab some friends and go on a trawler trip once in a while.

Hunter:
As soon as you can catch salamanders, start catching them. As you progress up through the different types of salamanders you can catch, switch to those. Once you get into the mid sixties, then switch to the Red Chinchompas, and continue to hunt them until level 99. Save them so you can sell them, you will need the money to fund some of your other skills.

Melee:
I don’t want to spend too much time here, because it is really easy to level all the melee stats. If you want to do spend your time with a Pest Control Clan, you can easily get to 99 in any of the skills where you can use your points. Slayer is another skill that you can train in conjunction with your Melee skills.

One suggestion that I would make is to pick the right tool for the job. Don’t train Attack with a bronze dagger, spend the money on a Whip. If you can afford Dharok’s, then get it and use it until you get 99 Strength, then sell it once you are done.

Mining:
Some people that want 99 mining will power mine iron ores (drop the ores once your inventory is full), but have nothing to show for the levels gained. If that is what you want, you may end up hating the skill, as one of my friends hates the skill. Another method is to mine gold ores. Yet another is to take Nature runes and Addy or Runite ore with you as you mine coal. Once you have an inventory of coal, super heat the ore and it will makes bars. You get to train three skills with this method, magic, smithing, and mining.

Obviously, you can bank all of the iron ore that you mined as well.

Ranged:
In classic there were only two people who had 99 ranging. A month or so after the rollout, there were dozens of 99 rangers. Now, years later, there are thousands and thousands of 99 rangers. Within the past year, more bows and crossbows have been added to the game, making it even easier to level this skill. For the most part, all you need is a safe spot to range from, and time. With the addition to the cannon (more so now, than in classic), you can get huge amounts of ranging experience in a very short period of time. The crystal bow even gives you the luxury of not needing arrows.

Slayer:
Slayer can be a frustrating skill to level. You have no control over which monsters you are going to be assigned. If you get something that is not worth the effort, you can go to the lowest Slayer Master and have your assignment changed. There is no fast way to get slayer levels, you just need to complete your assignments and then get a new one.

There are some things that you can do to help a little, though. Another thing you can do is to pick high levels of the type of monster you were assigned. For example, if you were assigned Kalaphites, don’t kill the workers, go and kill the soldiers. If you get skeletons, don’t go to the Taverly dungeon and kill the lower level ones, find high level ones to kill. There are a few assignments where you can utilize that tip and eek out a little more slayer experience.

Thieving:
There have been several mini-games added to RuneScape that really helps this skill. Namely the Pyramid Plunder game, and Sorceress’ Garden games that give good thieving experience. You can also help your farming skill by thieving Master Farmers for their seeds. All of the stalls, chests, and NPCs are still around to give you a variety.
Of those listed above, Pyramid Plunder is the mini-game that several people have chosen to help them get 99 thieving.

Woodcutting:
Willows are the fastest way to 99 there is. They are easy to cut, quick to respawn and have decent exp. All that together gives you the fastest experience points gained. I have several friends who used Willows to get to 99 woodcutting, one saved all the logs they cut so they can use them in getting 99 firemaking, another just dropped them when he filled up his inventory. Either way works.

Others have gotten to 99 by cutting magic trees, which they sold the logs to fund other skills. If you want to get to 99 woodcutting, find what works best for you, and have fun doing it.

Conclusion:
I have purposely left out the levels needed to do certain tasks, because it is easy enough to find out that information. I wanted this to be more of a tool to put people on a path towards a 99 level skill. There are no right and wrong methods, it is only a game, so find out which way best suits you, and have fun doing it. I also left out which Quest will give you experience in certain skills. That is something else that you can look into as you make your plan.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Guide to level 99 in all skills.
PostPosted: August 4th, 2007, 10:24 am 
I'm baaaaaack.
Priest of Saradomin
Priest of Saradomin

Donor: Guardian (2013)
Mustang, this is a real good guide.

It really helps me for the other 99s I'm going for.

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2007, 10:34 am 
Good with wood
Champion of Saradomin
Champion of Saradomin

Needs pictures 8) & made an edit on the Fishing skill.

@Matt258RS Twitch: Matt258RS

Whatpulse
My Youtube user name: birdman258 200MCook ProfitCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers

PostPosted: August 4th, 2007, 10:45 am 
I'm baaaaaack.
Priest of Saradomin
Priest of Saradomin

Donor: Guardian (2013)
Matt, why don't you make some pics...Mr. 200M Exp. :P

PostPosted: August 4th, 2007, 10:56 am 
Village Elder
Village Elder

Interestingly enough Matt, Zilla said the exact same thing when she read it. Those can always be added as I go.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: August 4th, 2007, 11:22 am 
Village Elder
Village Elder

*dharok's I believe it is spelt (not dhoric's)

Nice guide though

Runescape fansite!

Katey wrote:
17 September 2012 --- Jesus returns. Battle of Armageddon.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2007, 1:03 pm 
Village Elder
Village Elder

Mackerel wrote:
*dharok's I believe it is spelt (not dhoric's)

Nice guide though

Thanks, I will fix the typo.

Edit: Matt, thanks for the suggestion, however, when I mentioned that if anyone had anything to add, I would have hoped they would have made a post instead of editing my original post... since you didn't follow my original format, I removed your edit, and fixed the comment so that it flows better. I will however, move the fishing one into the first section, "Skills that can be purchased."

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: August 4th, 2007, 1:10 pm 
Rogue of Void
Village Elder
Village Elder

Black mask doesn't give extra exp. It just lets you do more damage to slayer tasks.

You need 91 rc to craft double nats, not 92.

Decent guide. :)

PostPosted: August 4th, 2007, 2:36 pm 
Champion of Saradomin
Champion of Saradomin

Very good guide,
When I decide to play again I guess instead of blowing my cash on Sharks I do the monk's method. I didn't know it was faster+Less money. Great guide It helped me.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2007, 5:42 pm 
Level 0
Village Elder
Village Elder

Donor: Wizard (2013)
Friend of Hiker
Yes, nicely done. You gave me a few ideas I hadn't realized before. :)

(If you're going for fixing typos, "Altar" (used twice in the Prayer section) has two A's.)

Legendary themed months are back! Maybe.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: August 4th, 2007, 6:48 pm 
Village Elder
Village Elder

Thanks for the corrections, they have been made.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: August 4th, 2007, 8:23 pm 
Minor King
Minor King

Very nice guide mustang :D When I get my members back , Ill be using this to go for 99 in my favorite skills. Yet again, nice guide :D

PostPosted: August 5th, 2007, 3:08 pm 
Squire
Squire

yes very nice but only thing that was not helpful at all was melee. :?
PC is dead now... exp its horrible
and what do i use the dharoks on?

PostPosted: August 5th, 2007, 6:53 pm 
Sorceror of Saradomin
Sorceror of Saradomin

Ya maybe fix PC IF it is bad. I haven't been there since the change. Nice guide though. Awesome guide actually! :D

PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 5:48 am 
Village Elder
Village Elder

Nato78 wrote:
and what do i use the dharoks on?

I used Dharok's while doing my slayer assignments. Specifically, Gargoyles, Nechs, and Abysmal Demons. However, you can use them on anything you can wear a helmet and not need a shield. You would NOT be able to use them on Dust Devils, Aberrant Specters, Basilisks, Cockatrice, Dragons, Kurasks, etc.

It is a fairly good way to train Str, since you can do massive amounts of damage. Once I got to 99 strength, I gave it to my wife to use so she would work on her strength.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 8:57 am 
Good with wood
Champion of Saradomin
Champion of Saradomin

Doesen't the Karamja gloves give Agility exp for tickets?

@Matt258RS Twitch: Matt258RS

Whatpulse
My Youtube user name: birdman258 200MCook ProfitCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers

PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 2:19 pm 
Village Elder
Village Elder

Matt258 wrote:

They give you more exp per ticket once you turn them in. But they do not increase your exp while you are getting tickets.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: August 7th, 2007, 4:02 pm 
Village Legend
Village Legend

Donor: Guardian (2007)
Mustangnut wrote:
Matt258 wrote:

They give you more exp per ticket once you turn them in. But they do not increase your exp while you are getting tickets.

I'm pretty sure there is a slight increase in experience with the gloves. Also, with ranged you can now pretty much buy 99 range. At around 85, you can use chinchompas in the monkey madness tunnels, its about 150k an hour at 85, 180k at 90, and after 95 you can get more than 250k an hour. It can be very expensive though, around 25M for 7 million experience.

Thank you for the guide though :D This is really helpful, especially since now I'm starting to actually want to get my skills up.

<3Goten made this.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2007, 5:49 am 
Sorceror of Saradomin
Sorceror of Saradomin

Nice guide, awesome guide actually. I'll refer to this later :) .

PostPosted: August 8th, 2007, 10:58 am 
Village Elder
Village Elder

dimak1 wrote:
Mustangnut wrote:
Matt258 wrote:

I'm pretty sure there is a slight increase in experience with the gloves. Also, with ranged you can now pretty much buy 99 range. At around 85, you can use chinchompas in the monkey madness tunnels, its about 150k an hour at 85, 180k at 90, and after 95 you can get more than 250k an hour. It can be very expensive though, around 25M for 7 million experience.

Thank you for the guide though :D This is really helpful, especially since now I'm starting to actually want to get my skills up.

Thanks for the tip, I need to make some additional changes, and will move Ranging into the purchase category.

Profile WWW 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 4
 [ 70 posts ] 
Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next »  Page: