[ 144 posts ] 
Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next »  Page:

Post subject: The New Direction of RuneVillage
PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 3:45 am 
Another Way to Die
Champion of Saradomin
Champion of Saradomin

Donor: Prince (2003)
Everyone has been asking and wondering about the future of RuneVillage, and we can fill you in some on the current plans by the admin team.

First, let us state than we are angry about the manner in which Jagex has handled this entire incident.  It was not necessary for them to make a public announcement of the reasoning, nor to publicly make their statements about hiker, publishing links to his records, home information etc.  They could have simply announced that they had withdrawn support from RV at this time and then worked out the details for new management/ownership in the background.  The majority of comments posted at other fansites tend to agree with this opinion.

Further, Jagex initially stated that they would resume support and "Gold" status once new management/ownership was in place.  However, later they came back and stated that they would not be supporting RuneVillage at all in the future. They have thrown our community out due to something that hiker did 16 years ago.

These events have caused us to re-examine our feelings about the ethics of Jagex as a company and to question what relationship we would wish to have with them and to what extent we would want to support Runescape, even in an unofficial, unsupported position like we did for more than seven of our nine years.

As a result, today we announce that RuneVillage will be moving toward the support of not only other games, but multiple games as well. Please use this topic for other suggestions as well.

Obviously, we already have a segment of Villagers who play "Minecraft" and this will be our first area of expansion.  We will ask Villagers to write player guides and such for that game and submit them for publication on the site.

Other expansions could range from a forum just to play "Mafia", running several simultaneous games, along with playing and strategy guides, to full-out support for other multi-player games.

Runescape will continue to be supported much as we have in the past, but will not be the major emphasis of the site.  This will allow us to continue to utilize our massive investment in guides, data, etc.

We will retain the name "RuneVillage" and continue to use the "RuneVillage" domain.  This is our home, and RuneVillage is our history.  Based on examining comments around the web, we feel that there will not be significant long-term negative effects to our name and domain.  New people who find us will not be aware of either Hiker or RuneVillage's past, and those who know now would not have their opinions changed by a different name or a "cleansing" of all vestiges of RuneVillage or Hiker.

Due to it's popularity, we will continue to utilize our medieval theme, although there will be some minor changes, and RV2 will continue in production with some minor design changes there as well.  Some of the features of RV2.0 have been re-designated to RV2.1 and it's being streamlined somewhat to move the project along.  Glodenox and Demon will have the responsibility of the technical direction, along with the assistance of Dark Paladin and the guides/maps/data team and other members of the website team.

Runes exist and are used by games other than Runescape, and many games have a medieval atmosphere about them, so we see no problem with continuing to use the name and designs.

Let these past few days be a catalyst for growth and expansion of the Village rather than a negative time.  Let us all come together and build a better, stronger Village!

Post subject: Re: The Direction of RuneVillage
PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 4:12 am 
the 'teflon' coated
Clan Chat Moderator
Clan Chat Moderator

Donor: Guardian (2010)
Henner wrote:
Everyone has been asking and wondering about the future of RuneVillage, and we can fill you in some on the current plans by the admin team.

First, let us state than we are angry about the manner in which Jagex has handled this entire incident.  It was not necessary for them to make a public announcement of the reasoning, nor to publically make their statements about hiker, publishing links to his records, home information etc.  They could have simply announced that they had withdrawn support from RV at this time and then worked out the details for new management/ownership in the background.  The majority of comments posted at other fansites tend to agree with this opinion.

Further, Jagex initially stated that they would resume support and "Gold" status once new management/ownership was in place.  However, later they came back and stated that they would not be supporting RuneVillage at all in the future. They have thrown our community out due to something that hiker did 16 years ago.

These events have caused us to re-examine our feelings about the ethics of Jagex as a company and to question what relationship we would wish to have with them and to what extent we would want to support Runescape, even in an unofficial, unsupported position like we did for more than seven of our nine years.

As a result, today we announce that RuneVillage will be moving toward the support of not only other games, but multiple games as well. Please use this topic for other suggestions as well.

Obviously, we already have a segment of Villagers who play "Minecraft" and this wiil be our first area of expansion.  We will ask Villagers to write player guides and such for that game and submit them for publication on the site.

Other expansions could range from a forum just to play "Mafia", running several simultaneous games, along with playing and strategy guides, to full-out support for other multi-player games.

Runescape will continue to be supported much as we have in the past, but will not be the major emphasis of the site.  This will allow us to continue to utilize our massive investment in guides, data, etc.

We will retain the name "RuneVillage" and continue to use the "RuneVillage" domain.  This is our home, and RuneVillage is our history.  Based on examining comments around the web, we feel that there will not be significient long-term negative effects to our name and domain.  New people who find us will not be aware of either Hiker or RuneVillage's past, and those who know now would not have their opinions changed by a different name or a "cleansing" of all vestiges of RuneVillage or Hiker.

Due to it's popularity, we will continue to utilize our medieval theme, although there will be some minor changes, and RV2 will continue in production with some minor design changes there as well.  Some of the features of RV2.0 have been redesignated to RV2.1 and it's being streamlined somewhat to move the project along.  Glodenox and Demon will have the responsibiity of the technical direction, along with the assistance of Dark Paladin and the guides/maps/data team and other members of the website team.

Runes exist and are used by games other than Runescape, and many games have a medieval atmosphere about them, so we see no problem with continuing to use the name and designs.

Let these past few days be a catalyst for growth and expansion of the Village rather than a negative time.  Let us all come together and build a better, stronger Village!

Can't say I disagree with anything here.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 4:17 am 
Thanks for all the fish!
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Donor: Knight (2013)
Henner wrote:
First, let us state than we are angry about the manner in which Jagex has handled this entire incident.  It was not necessary for them to make a public announcement of the reasoning, nor to publically make their statements about hiker, publishing links to his records, home information etc.  They could have simply announced that they had withdrawn support from RV at this time and then worked out the details for new management/ownership in the background.  The majority of comments posted at other fansites tend to agree with this opinion.

+1

I'm glad we're moving past this crap. Jagex don't even do anything right these days.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 4:28 am 
best looking
Village Elder
Village Elder

i look forward to it, hopefully with this new direction, although jagex forced our hand, will bring a new era to runevillage along with a lot of new, active members

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 4:31 am 
Priest of Saradomin
Priest of Saradomin

Sounds good

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 4:37 am 
♫ Hakuna Matata ♫
Village Elder
Village Elder

Donor: Guardian (2009)
Well that really sucks for JaGeX.... they really proved to us how unprofessional and careless they really are, despite the new 'fansite supportive' image they were trying to achieve. I say it's their loss - we are one of the oldest RS communities, and have probably even been longer involved with RS than some of their staff.

I really like the idea of having RV become general gaming - especially since most of our members continue with other games after quitting RS. Most of us liked the idea of becoming general gaming before this anyway - so this seems to be our destiny :P

Question: would it be too costly/not worth it to consider more domain names for multiple portals for different games? i.e. minevillage domain for a minecraft portal? Or would it be bad to have too many names?

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 4:58 am 
Tweaking all the time
Staff Elder
Staff Elder

Donor: Knight (2012)
Friend of Hiker
Each domain name costs us a certain amount of money per year. Sadly enough, minevillage.com seems to have been bought already by someone (yet their server doesn't seem to react in any way). It's probably a minecraft server or so.

There is however always the option of making a minecraft.runevillage.com subdomain :)

Greetings,
Glodenox

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 6:26 am 
The Mutts Nuts
Champion of Saradomin
Champion of Saradomin

Sounds good boss.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 6:31 am 
the 'teflon' coated
Clan Chat Moderator
Clan Chat Moderator

Quote:
Further, Jagex initially stated that they would resume support and "Gold" status once new management/ownership was in place. However, later they came back and stated that they would not be supporting RuneVillage at all in the future. They have thrown our community out due to something that hiker did 16 years ago.

Bring back Hiker then.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 6:45 am 
Thanks for all the fish!
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Donor: Knight (2013)
Magicana Drofulcus wrote:
Quote:
Further, Jagex initially stated that they would resume support and "Gold" status once new management/ownership was in place. However, later they came back and stated that they would not be supporting RuneVillage at all in the future. They have thrown our community out due to something that hiker did 16 years ago.

Bring back Hiker then.

Someone likes to randomly quote, say something nice, THEN read it later. :weird:

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 8:08 am 
Marketeer
Village Elder
Village Elder

Donor: Prince (2013)
I noticed there was nothing mentioned about hiker. What's the news with this guy? What does the admins plan to do with him?

Then I read this...
Bring back Hiker then.

I strongly disagree.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 8:17 am 
best looking
Village Elder
Village Elder

Market Man6 wrote:
I noticed there was nothing mentioned about hiker. What's the news with this guy? What does the admins plan to do with him?

Then I read this...
Bring back Hiker then.

I strongly disagree.

im pretty sure cam was kidding, as we got rid of hiker, did what jagex asked and they went back on what they said they would do.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 8:25 am 
O_o
Clan Chat Moderator
Clan Chat Moderator

Donor: Prince (2011)
Friend of Hiker
Glodenox wrote:
Each domain name costs us a certain amount of money per year. Sadly enough, minevillage.com seems to have been bought already by someone (yet their server doesn't seem to react in any way). It's probably a minecraft server or so.

There is however always the option of making a minecraft.runevillage.com subdomain :)

Greetings,
Glodenox

Glode,

Back when we did the Minevillage April Fool's Joke, I purchased the domain name. I simply made a meta refresh to Runevillage.com at the time. I can find the post I made about it if I still have access to it.

If you wish to get the name off of me, we can surely figure it out.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 8:41 am 
the 'teflon' coated
Clan Chat Moderator
Clan Chat Moderator

Head Cheff wrote:
Market Man6 wrote:

Then I read this...
Bring back Hiker then.

I strongly disagree.

im pretty sure cam was kidding, as we got rid of hiker, did what jagex asked and they went back on what they said they would do.

Being serious, as Jagex has already given us the finger up. Obviously not in a position of power.

Rory wrote:
Quote:

Bring back Hiker then.

Someone likes to randomly quote, say something nice, THEN read it later. :weird:

I read it at the time, my second post came after some discussion in RVL.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 8:53 am 
Queen of Runevillage
Sorceror of Saradomin
Sorceror of Saradomin

Ventrue wrote:
Glodenox wrote:

Greetings,
Glodenox

Glode,

Back when we did the Minevillage April Fool's Joke, I purchased the domain name. I simply made a meta refresh to Runevillage.com at the time. I can find the post I made about it if I still have access to it.

If you wish to get the name off of me, we can surely figure it out.

osnap!

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 8:59 am 
Village Elder
Village Elder

I'm totally down! :D

-Phat

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 9:34 am 
Village Elder
Village Elder

Donor: Prince (2012)
I personally have no desire to continue bantering with Jagex and their constant stipulations and broken promises. So to me, we should be done with them forever and move on. We did fine before they even wanted to recognize fan sites, we'll do fine without them.

Otherwise, I hope we can continue our plan to further diversify RV and bring more people in, keep those who have stayed here, and increase activity. Since we no longer have Jagex playing big brother to us, our avenues of additions and themes are wide open.

In other words....community......get crackin' on ideas!

Contact me if you have any aquarium related questions, fresh or salt. Also looking for freshwater shrimp at all times. Whether you are in the US or elsewhere. Thanks!

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 9:56 am 
Half man, half machine
Sorceror of Saradomin
Sorceror of Saradomin

I don't have any complaints with what has been posted so far, however I'm a little worried that the site's focus will become minecraft. This would alienate a lot of villagers who don't play it.

"What? Men dodging this way for single bullets? What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."- The last words of General John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in the American civil war

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 9:58 am 
Champion of Saradomin
Champion of Saradomin

Sounds good. If so Nate, why don't you jump on that wagon?

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 10:00 am 
Half man, half machine
Sorceror of Saradomin
Sorceror of Saradomin

Looked at it, it doesn't really appeal to me.

"What? Men dodging this way for single bullets? What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."- The last words of General John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in the American civil war

[ 144 posts ] 
Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next »  Page: