All times are UTC - 6 hours

[ 17 posts ] 

Post subject: Apey's Guide to Profitable RCing
PostPosted: July 9th, 2010, 1:31 am 
Do caep dance
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Ohi.

I have decided to write up a little guide on profitable RCing for anyone who is interested, which quite possibly could be no-one. I don't claim to be a master of RCing by any means (we'll leave that to Tal) but have perfected the art quite a bit to maximise my profits from the skill. Feel free to post any constructive criticism or any tips of your own. Runecrafting can be one of, if not, the most reliable/consistent money making methods if you know what you're doing :)

Introduction

As I said, Runecrafting can be one of the most profitable money making methods in Runescape, however at earlier levels you will tend to lose money. At level 44 Runecrafting you will be able to make Nature runes and this is when you will start to profit. If you want to maximise your profits runecrafting then it is all about reducing your time and increasing your speed of each of your runecrafting 'run'. In this very basic guide I will be looking at three main methods: The Abyss, Graahks & Astral Crafting.

The Abyss:

This is one of the most popular methods of Runecrafting, mainly used for Cosmics, Natures (at lower levels), Laws, Deaths & Bloods. It is located in the wilderness slightly north of Edgeville.

Gear and Inventory

Firstly, there is no definitive complete inventory and gear set that applies to all runecrafters. Your gear and inventory will depend primarily on your Runecrafting level, Agility level & Defence level and secondly on your Hunter level & Ranged level.

When choosing your gear there are a few things to keep in mind, in particular your weight and your defence bonuses.

Weight reducing Gear
- Agile top -12kg (Requires 90 Agility, 35 Defence, 35 Constitution)
- Agile legs -10kg (Requires 85 Agility, 35 Defence, 35 Constitution)
- Penance Gloves - 7kg (Requires 40 defence, obtained from Barbarian Assault)
- Boots of Lightness -5kg (Obtained from the basement of Temple of the Ikov)
- Spottier Cape -4.5kg or Spotted Cape -2kg (Requires 66 Hunter and 40 Hunter respectively)

Energy restore
- Dipping in the pool at Oo'glog after 'As a First Resort' will keep your run energy at 100% for a limited time - Good if you can be bothered.
- Energy potions/Super potions - At 75 + Runecrafting, good for when your energy is extremely low if you use the whole vial that you can drop.
- Spirit Terrorbird/Bull Ant scrolls - Also good but keep in mind you will always lose 1 inventory spot per run.

It is worth noting if you have a high enough Agility level for the Agile gear, the odds are you won't need to wear it for Abyss runecrafting. Your run energy does not regenerate any quicker at -38.5kg than it does at 0kg.

If:

- You have a higher Agility level (>70) and higher Defence level (>70) you don't have to worry about your gear as much as others. A combination of weight-reducing clothing and lighter defensive gear such as D'hide will suffice. At this point, you could most likely go without the D'hide anyway. Here, a small positive weight is not a big issue.

- You have a higher Agility level (>70) and lower Defence level (<70) wear the best D'hide body/legs you can and wear other weight reducing gear such as boots of lightness and spottier/spotted cape. Here, a small positive weight is not a big issue.

- You have a lower Agility level (<70) and higher Defence level (>70) this is where it gets a bit annoying. The appropriate gear would be anything to keep your weight under 0kg. Depending on how low your Agility level is, you may need more than just your Agility level to ensure you do not run out of energy.

- You have a lower Agility level (<70) and a lower Defence level (<70) then it is similar to the second case but at the same time may require other means to ensure you don't run out of energy.

From experience, if you fall into the first case, I never ran out of energy wearing D'hide body/legs, regular gloves, boots of lightness and a Skill Cape :)

What to wield?

The best weapon to wield by far is the Inferno Adze as it can act as both a pickaxe and a hatchet. However keep in mind this does require 92 Firemaking. The Abyss has five different obstacles (and despite what people will tell you, these are randomly generated each time you enter the abyss) that you have to pass from the outer circle to enter the inner circle: Tendrils (Hatchet), Rock (Pickaxe), Gap (Agility), Eyes (Thieving), Boils (Firemaking). There is actually a 6th rarer obstacle, which is exactly the same as the Agility Gap, but is called something else... it's not important anyway.

If you cannot wield the Adze, then a high-level Pickaxe is your best bet.

You will also need an Amulet of Glory (4). At the very least you should have about 10 of these. I personally have 60, and I know people who have hundreds of them.

You can wear anything on your head/shield spot as long as you keep appropriate weight and defensive bonuses in mind to your situation :awesome:

Finally an emergency teleport ring is a good idea in case you forget a charged glory.

Note 1: Some people wear Forinthry bracelet so they can't be teleblocked by revs but I think this is a waste. You can still teleport to the Abyss and teleport to Edgeville from your altar.
Note 2: The guide so far does not account for Law crafting. Remember the altar is on Entrana, so you will not be able to wield most armour and weapons. It has been a long time since I've crafted Laws, but I do know that you can take spottier/spotted capes, boots of lightness and glorys there!
~

Your inventory is pretty simple but can on occasion be debated between RCers.

If:

- Your highest level pouch is the Giant pouch (Requires 75 Runecrafting), have the Giant Pouch, Large Pouch and Medium Pouch in your inventory.
- Your highest level pouch is the Large Pouch (Requires 50 Runecrafting), have the Large Pouch, Medium Pouch and Small Pouch in your inventory.

Fill the rest with essence, unless your defence is really low and you need food, or your Agility is really low and you need energy potions or summoning scrolls.

The Method + Tips and Tricks

First, I will run through the basic idea of the method and then most importantly outline why I make particular suggestions. These suggestions will cater to different people, particularly people with different clicking accuracy and speeds.

1. Fill each of your pouches, bank, fill the rest of your inventory with essence.
2. Run North east to the ditch and click the ditch.
3. Continue to run north to the Mage of Zamorak and teleport to the Abyss
4. Pass an obstacle to gain entrance into the inner circle where you can access the appropriate altar.
5. Enter the altar, craft the essence in your inventory, empty your pouches, and craft the essence again.
6. Teleport to Edgeville with your glory and repeat 1 - 5!
7. When your glory runs out of charges, substitute for a (4).
8. When your pouches break, repair at the Abyssal Mage in the centre of the Abyss.

Tips and tricks

This section of each runecrafting method is extremely important, and will help you increase your speed runecrafting. You do not have to follow each of these tips if they take you out of your comfort zone of how you like to runecraft, but this is how I do it. Seconds are valuable!

***Note*** The blue & bold numbers also apply to Graahking!

1. If you don't play like this already, change your screen on fixed rather than resizable, especially if you have a large monitor. Ever since resizable came out I've never played on fixed except when I runecraft. The reason you do this is to reduce time the two places where mistakes add up most - banking and refilling pouches and also crafting the essence. This allow you to move your mouse to where it needs to go much quicker.

2. Set your pouches in a vertical line downwards from the top left hand corner. Some people do horizontally out of habit, but I have always found this to take ever so slightly longer. Fill your pouches completely to begin with, even if you're 75 + Runecrafting and are using a medium pouch.

3. When you are playing on fixed, the amount of items on display in your bank are a lot smaller in number. Ensure that you have ALL of the items you will need when runecrafting within this display. This includes Glorys, essence and any supplemental energy restore items you may need depending on your Agility level. Also, make sure your 'Withdraw X' option is at the very least 25.

4. It is important that you take the Medium Pouch as opposed to the Small Pouch for two reasons when 75 + Runecrafting:
- Most importantly: When your Large Pouch decays, you can make a run to the Abyss and still make the same amount of runes per run with a decayed pouch, I will explain how this works later if you don't already know. Also, depending on timing, it helps for when your glory runs out of charges too.
- Less importantly: If you have really low defence or Agility and will need to take a piece of food or supplemental run restore item that will be consumed.

5. The reason I don't bring a small pouch along as well is that it adds several more clicks to filling my pouches and crafting/emptying my pouches. I find that I can make more runes per hour without it. If you are an extremely fast clicker, than you may like to try out using the small pouch as well, but I am willing to bet you will find yourself making less runes per hour.

6. When running between particular places, watch your mini map and continually click ahead so you don't stop running. This sounds very obvious but some people wait until their character arrives at the red flag before they click again which will cause your character to stop momentarily.

7. Try and right click -> Teleport on the Mage of Zamorak as far away as possible. What I mean by this is don't wait until you get to the Mage to do this. It wastes time. On this occasion, your character will move in the quickest path to the Mage of Zamorak if you click the teleport early.

8. Learn your character animations to reduce stoppage times. This is integral to training Agility but also to speeding up your Runecrafting. This is kind of hard to explain in a guide and is rather something you will acquire through experience. In particular, the important spots for this are: crossing the ditch, passing through obstacles in the Abyss and most importantly crafting the essence. When crafting essence it is quite possible to have dead clicks of emptying pouches or clicking teleport to Edgeville. This is because you haven't let the previous animation completely finish. Again, perfecting this will come from experience.

9. Pass through to the inner circle of the Abyss as quickly as possible, to save time and perhaps reduce damage. This tip can occasionally depend on what your strengths are. For me and I'd say most people, the quickest of the five obstacles to pass is the Agility gap, followed by the Tendrils or the Rocks. The distracting of the eyes is by far the slowest. Do not even bother bringing a tinderbox for the boil as it is a waste of space and time. Do not go searching for the Agility gap. Unless you can see an Agility Gap from where you arrive in the outer circle, look for tendrils or rocks.

10. When crafting your first lot of essence, have your inventory screen. After emptying the essence from your pouches and you have clicked craft on the altar, change to your gear screen ready for teleport. When you have teleported, change back to your inventory screen otherwise you will waste time fiddling with it when you get to the bank.

11. When you have 75 + Runecrafting, you will make a base of 49 runes per trip using these methods. 12 from the Giant Pouch, 9 from the Large Pouch, and 3 (of 6) from the Medium pouch and the 25 left in your inventory slots. Do not empty the final 3 from your Medium Pouch. This will hurt you in the long run and will decrease your profits rather than increase them!

12. Fix your pouch at the Abyssal Mage in the Abyss. Your Giant Pouch will decay approximately every 500 essence you use if you're using these runecrafting methods. It will decay as your filling them up in the bank. When it does decay, continue your run as normal until you get into the inner circle of the Abyss. When you get to the Mage, Right click -> Fix pouch as soon as possible. Now, you only need to click "Click to continue" ONCE and then as soon as you do you can click near the entrance of your altar on your minimap. I notice many social people like to have the full conversation with this guy but your pouch will be fixed after you have accepted the first line of his dialogue.

Some people like to fix their pouch using the Lunar Contact NPC spell, but this is a waste of time especially if you're already using the Abyss to Runecrafting.

Now, to explain what I alluded to in 4: When you are using a Medium Pouch, 3 essence will be stored in that pouch during each run that you do not use until your pouch decays. When your pouch decays, you will lose the ability to store an extra 3 essence in your Giant Pouch which is where this 'hidden' essence comes into play. It allows you to make that 49 base essence per run regardless of your pouch being decayed. Even better, it will slowly fill back up again as you continue your runs! This is because with three pouches you have 25 inventory spots left, but 27 essence can be stored in your pouches. Each run you put 24 essence in these pouches, but after your pouch decays and you use the 'hidden essence' you will put 25 essence in until the 3 hidden essences are back in your Medium Pouch for next time your pouch decays.

13. Taking off your uncharged glory. This sounds very easy, but you won't believe how many people take it off when they get to the bank or as soon as they teleport. Do it *while* your character is running to the bank so you you're always on the move. You shouldn't be stopping for something as trivial as taking off a glory.

14. While we're on running into the bank, it's quicker to go in the north west entrance and bank at the north banker despite a lot of people running in the south west entrance and banking at the west banker.

15. Familiars. This is the exact same logic as 5 (Small pouch). For the first 10 minutes you will probably be making more runes than somebody else. After an hour or even less time, they will overtake you unless you're an extremely quick clicker.

16. Finally, changing your screen view. Some people like to keep it fixed, some like to move it around like me. Whatever you do, try and do it exactly the same each time so you increase your familiarity of where and when you need to click.

I haven't used the Abyss primarily in a long time so hopefully these tips aren't outdated. I believe at 75 + Runecrafting I used to craft anywhere between 2,000 - 2,300 essence per hour using the Abyss.
~~~

Graahking

Graahking is the most efficient method of crafting vast quantities of natures which comes into its own when you reach 91 Runecrafting. It requires level 57 Summoning to summon a Graahk familiar which lasts for 49 minutes. To do it efficiently you will also need plenty of Duelling ring (8)'s and several Amulet of Glory (4)'s.

Gear and Inventory

The gear and inventory for Graahking is very similar to that of Abyss crafting.

As far as gear goes, there are three key differences between Graahking and Abyss crafting:

1) Your defence level does not matter nearly as much. You will only go through the abyss 3 - 5 times per Graahk which shouldn't result in much damage.
2) You spend a lot more time running during Graahking as there aren't any stoppages like there are in Abyss crafting.
3) You need either a Nature Tiara, Omni-tiara or Omni-staff to enter the Nature altar. Talismans are a bad choice.

With these points in mind, you should focus primarily on keeping your weight low. However, if your Agility is below 75, then you will most likely need to use supplements to keep your run energy up for the entire 49 minutes. These supplements are already outlined in the Abyss section of the guide.

A nature tiara or Omni-tiara are the best choices for means of entering the Nature altar. An Omni-staff is also an option, however it is much better to wield a pickaxe (or Inferno Adze) for when your pouches decay and you make an Abyss run.

Personally, this is what I wear:

Omni Tiara, Penance gloves, Boots of lightness & Inferno Adze. I will get to the duelling rings later in the method section.

The inventory is exactly the same however before you start your first run you will have a Graahk pouch instead of one pure essence like this:

The Method + Tips and Tricks

The basic method:

1. Fill your Giant Pouch, Large Pouch & Medium Pouch and inventory entirely with essence and one Graahk pouch like in the above image.
2. Summon your Graahk, click on it, select teleport.
3. Make your way towards the Nature altar and empty one essence from your medium pouch to fill the space left by summoning your Graahk.
4. Click on the altar to enter, craft your essence, empty your pouches and craft again. You should be using 49 essence: 12 from Giant, 9 from Large, 3 from Medium, 25 from the rest of your inventory.
5. Teleport to the Castle Wars bank with a Duelling ring (8) and bank
6. Repeat steps 1 - 5.
7. When your Duelling ring has ONE charge left, take it off and replace it with a Duelling ring (8).
8. When your pouch decays, do a run at the abyss and repair it. Remember to take essence so it's just another run (albeit slower).

Tips and tricks

Again, this is the important part. Tips 1 - 6, 10 - 13 & 16 from the Abyss section also apply to the Graahking method. I have put a note in the earlier section regarding this.
* Tip 13 applies to Duelling Ring (1)'s as well.

1. This is the best path from where you arrive after the Graahk teleport to the Nature altar:

Some people turn off left as soon as they get past that first lake. That is a slower path. I overtake people that were front of me when they turn off early, every single time.

2. I have my map set so North points to the left and East points upwards. I find this is the best way to navigate to the Nature altar as well as to the Castle Wars bank.

3. Click on the Nature altar as soon as possible. Your character will take the quickest path there from where you have clicked and reduces the quantity of clicks.

4. Use Duelling rings if you want to maximise your profits. The alternative is the Kinship ring from Dungeoneering, however this is *much* slower as the bank is quite a few steps away from the teleport in comparison to the Duelling ring and the Castle Wars bank.

The trick is to not use the Duelling ring (8)'s until they vanish but until they turn into (1)'s. The (1)'s are worth exactly the same as (8)'s so you do not lose any money if you can offload them as junk. This isn't a problem with me personally having a partyhat I can lend.

5. Repair your pouches at the Abyss. The alternative is to repair them using the NPC Contact spell on Lunar spells; this is slower! The time it takes to repair them using NPC Contact + doing a Graahk run is slower than doing one Abyss run. Remember that when you do it via the Abyss you are still doing a runecrafting run and are thus continuing your rhythm which is important. Using NPC contact requires you to stop completely in your tracks.

6. Concentrate on the Graahks standing behind you so you know which one is yours. Watch the other people runecrafting out the corner of your eye when in Castle Wars bank. Often you will be in a situation where there are 2 + Graahks standing in the same spot. Remember that the latest Graahk to arrive will go to the top of the list. So if you're the last one to the bank, yours will be at the top. If another person arrives while you're banking, yours will be second on the list of the right-click options.

If you are not confident of knowing which one is yours, just take two steps to the west and click on the one that moves. This is quicker than trialling each Graahk to see if it is yours.

7. Don't Graahk on World 36! There are way too many people :P
~~~

I hope this guide has helped you.

~ Nevermore, H.O.P.E, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~
~ WvW Rank 964, sPvP Rank 75, 25,437 AP ~

Last edited by Muscular Ape on July 23rd, 2010, 7:39 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Apey's Guide to Profitable RCing
PostPosted: July 9th, 2010, 2:21 pm 
Sorceror of Saradomin
Sorceror of Saradomin

Donor: Knight (2007)
Friend of Hiker
You switched up the required Agility levels for the Agile gear, but other than that, it looks spot on. I haven't done any RCing in quite some time, but that's pretty much exactly what I would do. I don't have 75 Runecrafting, so I did learn a thing or two about that process from this. Perhaps, someday, I shall use that to my advantage...

The Idiot Has Been Here

PostPosted: July 9th, 2010, 4:06 pm 
Choking Victim <3
Priest of Saradomin
Priest of Saradomin

Very nice guide Ape. I may use it when I get bored and decide to do RC .

PostPosted: July 9th, 2010, 4:14 pm 
Good with wood
Champion of Saradomin
Champion of Saradomin

I don't like the Abyss because of being "Skulled" & Reverents. Add some Pics/video.

@Matt258RS Twitch: Matt258RS

Whatpulse
My Youtube user name: birdman258 200MCook ProfitCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers

PostPosted: July 9th, 2010, 8:17 pm 
Do caep dance
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

TheAmericanIdiot wrote:
You switched up the required Agility levels for the Agile gear, but other than that, it looks spot on. I haven't done any RCing in quite some time, but that's pretty much exactly what I would do. I don't have 75 Runecrafting, so I did learn a thing or two about that process from this. Perhaps, someday, I shall use that to my advantage...

The Idiot Has Been Here

No I didn't.

8-[

ohioman wrote:
Very nice guide Ape. I may use it when I get bored and decide to do RC .

Matt258 wrote:
I don't like the Abyss because of being "Skulled" & Reverents. Add some Pics/video.

Why don't you like being skulled?

While on a regular world, you still get gravestones when you are skulled and the Abyss is very easy to get back to if you happen to die :)

PostPosted: July 12th, 2010, 1:01 pm 
Village Elder
Village Elder

Location: Found the cure for my bad memory but forgot where I set it down
Matt258 wrote:

There is a magic item, don't recall which enchanted item it is, that will keep you from being skulled in the abyss.

Nice guide but I just need an 80 crafting yet to make the dragonstone ammulet(Yes I am cheap :P ).

PostPosted: July 12th, 2010, 3:00 pm 
Priest of Saradomin
Priest of Saradomin

Is this a money making guide? Cannoning green dragons is faster

3. Am I sober?
4. Am I doing this to make my co-workers laugh?
5. Have I run this by the players?
6. Am I still sober?
7. Is this update so pointless that people might think its a glitch?
8. Does this negatively affect the economy?
9. Why are we doing this?
10. Last but not least, Does this update involve picking anything out of a hat?

PostPosted: July 14th, 2010, 11:19 am 
Sorceror of Saradomin
Sorceror of Saradomin

I like you.

It's the Internet people. Stop being so damn serious.

Dragon Cube 999

PostPosted: July 14th, 2010, 5:41 pm 
the 'teflon' coated
Clan Chat Moderator
Clan Chat Moderator

Donor: Guardian (2010)
adamdamico5 wrote:

Actually killing Kree is faster money.

:?:

:grr:

:facepalm:

PostPosted: July 14th, 2010, 10:17 pm 
Priest of Saradomin
Priest of Saradomin

I suppose if you get good drops, kree being gwd boss the supplies are expensive if you solo

3. Am I sober?
4. Am I doing this to make my co-workers laugh?
5. Have I run this by the players?
6. Am I still sober?
7. Is this update so pointless that people might think its a glitch?
8. Does this negatively affect the economy?
9. Why are we doing this?
10. Last but not least, Does this update involve picking anything out of a hat?

PostPosted: July 14th, 2010, 11:28 pm 
Big, dirty shithawks.
Village Staff
Village Staff

Hurry up and get the graahk one up before I decide to start RCing again.

Looking good, Ape. :D

Jackstick wrote:
bluecoat is the tracker, Market Man6 is the detective, Paidea is the watcher, Super Saiyan Goku is the Doctor, Stone Cold Steve Austin is the Janitor, and I'm the Godfather.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 7:48 am 
Do caep dance
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

silentones wrote:
Matt258 wrote:

There is a magic item, don't recall which enchanted item it is, that will keep you from being skulled in the abyss.

Nice guide but I just need an 80 crafting yet to make the dragonstone ammulet(Yes I am cheap :P ).

Forinthry bracelet. I don't think it's really necessary for Runecrafting. You get a gravestone if you die when skulled anyway and it's very quick to get back to the Abyss :^_^;:

Tal Set 65 wrote:
I like you.

Oh, you.

adamdamico5 wrote:

I figured the thread title would give away what the thread was about.

Landerpurex wrote:
Hurry up and get the graahk one up before I decide to start RCing again.

Looking good, Ape. :D

Graahk section is up but may need some editing. :awesome:

PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 2:29 pm 
Count
Count

Oh, yay for me. This guide confirmed for me what I was already sure of: that I am a pro @ rcing!! :D I do the abyss and I use every one of your little trick thingies already, without having read any little guide dealios like this! ^_^ (except for the medium pouch instead of small :spite: rawr!! I don't believe in that nonsense!! Small pouch is superior!!!! RAWR >:3)

PostPosted: July 30th, 2010, 4:21 am 
Priest of Saradomin
Priest of Saradomin

One (very) minor thing, you don't actually require those agility levels to wear the top/bottom, I've seen many people with the Agile Top at 85. You just need to be able to complete the course.

Aside from that, are you sure not taking a familiar to the abyss is faster?
I can understand if using Giant/Large/Medium, but for Large/Medium/Small, you don't need to bank an extra time, and it also holds one "hidden" essence, which can be useful if your pouch decays. I personally use it, but I'm not sure what's faster.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2010, 4:35 am 
Do caep dance
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Ranger Blue wrote:
One (very) minor thing, you don't actually require those agility levels to wear the top/bottom, I've seen many people with the Agile Top at 85. You just need to be able to complete the course.

Yeah, I know. That is starting to stray away from the point of the guide though, it's easier to just to put the basic required level in there. If people want to get the Agile gear then I daresay they'll look at a Agility guide. Thanks though, I take all points on board.

Ranger Blue wrote:
Aside from that, are you sure not taking a familiar to the abyss is faster?
I can understand if using Giant/Large/Medium, but for Large/Medium/Small, you don't need to bank an extra time, and it also holds one "hidden" essence, which can be useful if your pouch decays. I personally use it, but I'm not sure what's faster.

Admittedly, I'm not really sure for Large/Medium/Small as I haven't been under 75 RC for years. It may well be quicker when under 75 Runecrafting and I'll revise that section of the guide. However, for Giant/Large/Medium, it's certainly not faster.

Thanks for your post, appreciate it! :P

PostPosted: August 14th, 2010, 1:09 pm 
i praise feist
Sorceror of Saradomin
Sorceror of Saradomin

For graaking, should I wait until 75 rc to get the largest pouch, or can I do it right now with 57 rc?

PostPosted: August 14th, 2010, 1:42 pm 
sucks
Priest of Saradomin
Priest of Saradomin

ACher91 wrote:
Oh, yay for me. This guide confirmed for me what I was already sure of: that I am a pro @ rcing!! :D I do the abyss and I use every one of your little trick thingies already, without having read any little guide dealios like this! ^_^ (except for the medium pouch instead of small :spite: rawr!! I don't believe in that nonsense!! Small pouch is superior!!!! RAWR >:3)

Was I the only person who was set back by this paragraph?

n00b 4 m1nin wrote:
it was then i realised if the teachers can make a good prank then Jagex must have something planned.

[ 17 posts ]