All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic   Page 1 of 1
 [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message

 Post subject: The Grandest Game of Forum Risk!
PostPosted: January 14th, 2017, 6:18 am 
Thanks for all the fish!
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator
User avatar

Joined: April 13th, 2004, 2:48 am
Posts: 6,926
Location: On the court
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Donor: Knight (2013)
Disclaimer: I haven't played many games of Risk, and it's been awhile, so I may be forgetting rules here, let me know if I did.

So, I've been watching some risk games played on 4chan's traditional games board (tg) and it gave me an idea, why not try it here? The idea is that there would a host, who would fill in the map as per player commands, and moderate the game as it goes on. There could be events that occur (randomly, of course!). The aim of the game is to increase your control and claim other territories.


The only issue, and this is where I want your opinions here, would be: How do we make up for the dice? The best I've come up with, is that in the event of a battle, each person PMs the moderator/host rock/papers/scissors and if it's draw, play it as a stalemate for that round?


Something else to consider, should it be based on a time limit, so highest score wins after X days (by number of territories) or do we play for complete domination?

Here are two maps we could use, I was thinking we'll use thetraditional map to start with, unless people really want to try the other map, which we'd have to modify some rules a bit.

The other map is this one, which is more complicated, but it could be made to work if we want to. This is the map that 4chan has made for itself. here. As you can see, plenty of more territories compared to the traditional map, but as mentioned, we can modify that a bit. You could gain multiple territories per round, and owning a country could confer bonuses as normal.

I don't know if I missed anything important, but I'd been keen to give it a shot. Let me know what you guys think.

__________________
:awesome:
Image


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: The Grandest Game of Forum Risk!
PostPosted: January 15th, 2017, 11:53 am 
Village Elder
Village Elder
User avatar

Joined: August 27th, 2007, 7:00 pm
Posts: 4,361
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
I always wondered why RV doesn't have a dice feature since other forums I browse use phpBB and they have one.

__________________
Hidden: 
Bloodypurex wrote:
The Rocky Horror wrote:
Paidea wrote:
And you're not dead yet? Topsummoner

~Paidea

His logic is flawless. Topsummoner

I concur. We must lynch him now for the sake of the metagame, we MUST teach people that they can't go around claiming "anniversary" and expect leniency. Topsummoner.


Top
 Profile YIM 
 

 Post subject: Re: The Grandest Game of Forum Risk!
PostPosted: January 16th, 2017, 8:59 am 
(soothzayer)
Village Staff
Village Staff

Joined: April 6th, 2004, 4:19 pm
Posts: 2,192
Location: Vegas
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
I've never played Risk, but I've always wanted to, so, if you can figure out the dice thing, I'm in!

__________________
Hidden: 
Image


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: The Grandest Game of Forum Risk!
PostPosted: January 16th, 2017, 10:37 pm 
Level 0
Village Elder
Village Elder
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2004, 6:41 pm
Posts: 18,883
Location: The Tower of Mist
Status: Offline

Donor: Wizard (2013)
Friend of Hiker
Paidea wrote:
I always wondered why RV doesn't have a dice feature since other forums I browse use phpBB and they have one.
We used to have a lot of mods/features, but way back in like 2006 or something a couple of them led to hackable exploits and the admins got rid of everything we didn't need.

These days I don't trust the forum to stay stable if I added mods to it. :P As far as I'm concerned it's built on a nearly 15-year-old database and I'm playing Jenga just keeping it alive.

__________________
Image

.
Image

.
Legendary themed months are back! Maybe.
Image
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 Profile WWW 
 

 Post subject: Re: The Grandest Game of Forum Risk!
PostPosted: January 17th, 2017, 5:43 am 
Thanks for all the fish!
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator
User avatar

Joined: April 13th, 2004, 2:48 am
Posts: 6,926
Location: On the court
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Donor: Knight (2013)
Saten Ruiko wrote:
Paidea wrote:
I always wondered why RV doesn't have a dice feature since other forums I browse use phpBB and they have one.
We used to have a lot of mods/features, but way back in like 2006 or something a couple of them led to hackable exploits and the admins got rid of everything we didn't need.

These days I don't trust the forum to stay stable if I added mods to it. :P As far as I'm concerned it's built on a nearly 15-year-old database and I'm playing Jenga just keeping it alive.

Hmm, so that's a no to a dice feature. What if we added one to Jimmy? Assuming people in here use Discord.

__________________
:awesome:
Image


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: The Grandest Game of Forum Risk!
PostPosted: January 17th, 2017, 1:28 pm 
Big, dirty shithawks.
Village Staff
Village Staff
User avatar

Joined: July 19th, 2004, 10:21 pm
Posts: 6,077
Location: Being white in Baltimore
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
I used to play risk a lot in high school, I miss playing. A number randomizer should be good enough for dice, even if it's too simple.

I'm more concerned about the length of the game and people losing interest. If the logistics work out I'll play.

__________________
Image
Awesome Squall sprite courtesy of Goten! Check here if you'd like a runescape or game-themed sprite!
Hidden: 
Jackstick wrote:
bluecoat is the tracker, Market Man6 is the detective, Paidea is the watcher, Super Saiyan Goku is the Doctor, Stone Cold Steve Austin is the Janitor, and I'm the Godfather.


Top
 Profile YIM 
 

 Post subject: Re: The Grandest Game of Forum Risk!
PostPosted: January 18th, 2017, 1:49 am 
Level 0
Village Elder
Village Elder
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2004, 6:41 pm
Posts: 18,883
Location: The Tower of Mist
Status: Offline

Donor: Wizard (2013)
Friend of Hiker
Rory wrote:
Saten Ruiko wrote:
Paidea wrote:
I always wondered why RV doesn't have a dice feature since other forums I browse use phpBB and they have one.
We used to have a lot of mods/features, but way back in like 2006 or something a couple of them led to hackable exploits and the admins got rid of everything we didn't need.

These days I don't trust the forum to stay stable if I added mods to it. :P As far as I'm concerned it's built on a nearly 15-year-old database and I'm playing Jenga just keeping it alive.

Hmm, so that's a no to a dice feature. What if we added one to Jimmy? Assuming people in here use Discord.
Jimmy dice feature would be easy as pie. I'll make a note to myself to do it.

__________________
Image

.
Image

.
Legendary themed months are back! Maybe.
Image
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 Profile WWW 
 

 Post subject: Re: The Grandest Game of Forum Risk!
PostPosted: January 18th, 2017, 7:14 am 
Thanks for all the fish!
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator
User avatar

Joined: April 13th, 2004, 2:48 am
Posts: 6,926
Location: On the court
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Donor: Knight (2013)
Saten Ruiko wrote:
Jimmy dice feature would be easy as pie. I'll make a note to myself to do it.

Neat, I'm sure there could be a way to legitimize dice rolls, obviously they're not on the forums but for clarity and fairness' sake. Either we can pin them for people to view themselves, or do the rolls in an existing room. It wouldn't be too hard to figure that part out.

Landerpurex wrote:
I used to play risk a lot in high school, I miss playing. A number randomizer should be good enough for dice, even if it's too simple.

I'm more concerned about the length of the game and people losing interest. If the logistics work out I'll play.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out. It could be based on a time frame, 24 hours (just as an example) to submit a move or do nothing. It's also why I suggested basing on a scoring system after X amount of rounds, or time. So people don't need to commit too long and other people wanting to play don't need to wait so long.

__________________
:awesome:
Image


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: The Grandest Game of Forum Risk!
PostPosted: January 26th, 2017, 2:27 am 
Thanks for all the fish!
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator
User avatar

Joined: April 13th, 2004, 2:48 am
Posts: 6,926
Location: On the court
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Donor: Knight (2013)
Alright, so I've been giving this some thought, and I'd like to try using the 4chan sized map. However, we won't fight for the entire region, unless you guys really want to. Instead it could be small regions at a time, like this: http://i.imgur.com/5RdikEi.png

I can section it off into duchies and whatnot, such as Northumbria, Essex, Scotland, and so on. These could act as the regional bonuses which might grand a benefit to defense if you had Scotland, as an example. Traditionally, you get extra army to allocate each round, which may just work better.

I think that we can (mostly) follow traditional rules of engagement. 5 infantry = 1 Cavalry. 10 Infantry OR 2 Cavalry = 1 Artillery. You need at least 2 armies to attack, You can roll 1, 2 or 3 dice, but you need an army that equals the number of dice plus 1, so if you want to roll 3 dice, you need 4 armies. The defensive player can roll 1 or 2 dice, and they only need an equal number of armies to match it.

__________________
:awesome:
Image


Top
 Profile
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
The Village and this web site are © 2002-2012

ThePub 2.0 - Designed by Goten & Jackstick. Coded by Glodenox & Henner.
With many thanks to the Website Team!