All times are UTC - 6 hours

[ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: The Grandest Game of Forum Risk!
PostPosted: January 14th, 2017, 6:18 am 
Thanks for all the fish!
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Donor: Knight (2013)
Disclaimer: I haven't played many games of Risk, and it's been awhile, so I may be forgetting rules here, let me know if I did.

So, I've been watching some risk games played on 4chan's traditional games board (tg) and it gave me an idea, why not try it here? The idea is that there would a host, who would fill in the map as per player commands, and moderate the game as it goes on. There could be events that occur (randomly, of course!). The aim of the game is to increase your control and claim other territories.

The only issue, and this is where I want your opinions here, would be: How do we make up for the dice? The best I've come up with, is that in the event of a battle, each person PMs the moderator/host rock/papers/scissors and if it's draw, play it as a stalemate for that round?

Something else to consider, should it be based on a time limit, so highest score wins after X days (by number of territories) or do we play for complete domination?

Here are two maps we could use, I was thinking we'll use thetraditional map to start with, unless people really want to try the other map, which we'd have to modify some rules a bit.

The other map is this one, which is more complicated, but it could be made to work if we want to. This is the map that 4chan has made for itself. here. As you can see, plenty of more territories compared to the traditional map, but as mentioned, we can modify that a bit. You could gain multiple territories per round, and owning a country could confer bonuses as normal.

I don't know if I missed anything important, but I'd been keen to give it a shot. Let me know what you guys think.

Post subject: Re: The Grandest Game of Forum Risk!
PostPosted: January 15th, 2017, 11:53 am 
Village Elder
Village Elder

I always wondered why RV doesn't have a dice feature since other forums I browse use phpBB and they have one.

Paidea wrote:
And you're not dead yet? Topsummoner

~Paidea

His logic is flawless. Topsummoner

I concur. We must lynch him now for the sake of the metagame, we MUST teach people that they can't go around claiming "anniversary" and expect leniency. Topsummoner.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: January 16th, 2017, 8:59 am 
(soothzayer)
Village Staff
Village Staff

I've never played Risk, but I've always wanted to, so, if you can figure out the dice thing, I'm in!

PostPosted: January 16th, 2017, 10:37 pm 
Level 0
Village Elder
Village Elder

Donor: Wizard (2013)
Friend of Hiker
Paidea wrote:
I always wondered why RV doesn't have a dice feature since other forums I browse use phpBB and they have one.
We used to have a lot of mods/features, but way back in like 2006 or something a couple of them led to hackable exploits and the admins got rid of everything we didn't need.

These days I don't trust the forum to stay stable if I added mods to it. :P As far as I'm concerned it's built on a nearly 15-year-old database and I'm playing Jenga just keeping it alive.

Legendary themed months are back! Maybe.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: January 17th, 2017, 5:43 am 
Thanks for all the fish!
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Saten Ruiko wrote:
Paidea wrote:
We used to have a lot of mods/features, but way back in like 2006 or something a couple of them led to hackable exploits and the admins got rid of everything we didn't need.

These days I don't trust the forum to stay stable if I added mods to it. :P As far as I'm concerned it's built on a nearly 15-year-old database and I'm playing Jenga just keeping it alive.

Hmm, so that's a no to a dice feature. What if we added one to Jimmy? Assuming people in here use Discord.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2017, 1:28 pm 
Big, dirty shithawks.
Village Staff
Village Staff

I used to play risk a lot in high school, I miss playing. A number randomizer should be good enough for dice, even if it's too simple.

I'm more concerned about the length of the game and people losing interest. If the logistics work out I'll play.

Jackstick wrote:
bluecoat is the tracker, Market Man6 is the detective, Paidea is the watcher, Super Saiyan Goku is the Doctor, Stone Cold Steve Austin is the Janitor, and I'm the Godfather.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: January 18th, 2017, 1:49 am 
Level 0
Village Elder
Village Elder

Donor: Wizard (2013)
Friend of Hiker
Rory wrote:
Saten Ruiko wrote:
Paidea wrote:

Hmm, so that's a no to a dice feature. What if we added one to Jimmy? Assuming people in here use Discord.
Jimmy dice feature would be easy as pie. I'll make a note to myself to do it.

Legendary themed months are back! Maybe.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: January 18th, 2017, 7:14 am 
Thanks for all the fish!
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Saten Ruiko wrote:
Jimmy dice feature would be easy as pie. I'll make a note to myself to do it.

Neat, I'm sure there could be a way to legitimize dice rolls, obviously they're not on the forums but for clarity and fairness' sake. Either we can pin them for people to view themselves, or do the rolls in an existing room. It wouldn't be too hard to figure that part out.

Landerpurex wrote:
I used to play risk a lot in high school, I miss playing. A number randomizer should be good enough for dice, even if it's too simple.

I'm more concerned about the length of the game and people losing interest. If the logistics work out I'll play.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out. It could be based on a time frame, 24 hours (just as an example) to submit a move or do nothing. It's also why I suggested basing on a scoring system after X amount of rounds, or time. So people don't need to commit too long and other people wanting to play don't need to wait so long.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2017, 2:27 am 
Thanks for all the fish!
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Alright, so I've been giving this some thought, and I'd like to try using the 4chan sized map. However, we won't fight for the entire region, unless you guys really want to. Instead it could be small regions at a time, like this: http://i.imgur.com/5RdikEi.png

I can section it off into duchies and whatnot, such as Northumbria, Essex, Scotland, and so on. These could act as the regional bonuses which might grand a benefit to defense if you had Scotland, as an example. Traditionally, you get extra army to allocate each round, which may just work better.

I think that we can (mostly) follow traditional rules of engagement. 5 infantry = 1 Cavalry. 10 Infantry OR 2 Cavalry = 1 Artillery. You need at least 2 armies to attack, You can roll 1, 2 or 3 dice, but you need an army that equals the number of dice plus 1, so if you want to roll 3 dice, you need 4 armies. The defensive player can roll 1 or 2 dice, and they only need an equal number of armies to match it.

[ 9 posts ]