All times are UTC - 6 hours

[ 39 posts ] 
Go to page: « Previous  1, 2  Page:

Post subject: Re: FINALLY! The official RV guide to the game of mafia.
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2009, 9:29 pm 
Burning my Dread.
Village Staff
Village Staff

Donor: Guardian (2009)
Landerpurex wrote:
As Top said, I DID collaborate with everyone on the thank-you list. I even put this through Rocks, riptide, and axeslinger (no offense at all, guys) to see if it was helpful from a newbie's standpoint, and got positive feedback as well as tips. Everyone I contacted helped me and gave me helpful tips, and I made use of them. When I say I wrote 90% of the material, I mean I compiled it. The other 10% or whatever was stuff others had written that I put in strictly as-is. And as far as strategy goes, I don't want to give away too much information. I kept it basic, and also, it's the vanilla townie and the vanilla scum that need that extra help anyway. It's ultimately up to the user to formulate their own tactics, I've given them a place to start. The contact list is there for a reason, if they have a question that isn't answered by the guide, they can shoot me or anyone else a PM.

I don't know what your problem is, but I feel like you're LOOKING for reasons to bash my guide when in truth, it's a month of my personal time and over 8,000 words written for no reason other than to help someone. Be constructive in your criticism.

It's not so much wanting to bash you as taking things as they're written. When we see that you claim to have wrote 90% of it, that leaves a couple things to question.
Did you write it from scratch and leave others to fill 10%?
If so, DID the others only contribute 10%?
Or did you simply re-word a lot of things, totalling to 90% while you copy-pasted 10% from others?

It comes down to semantics and context deciding if you're taking credit for being the spokesman or plagarism. With the way it's worded, you can't deny that it's not hard to see a false claim of being responsible for saying you created 90% of the guide yourself.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2009, 10:12 pm 
Big, dirty shithawks.
Village Staff
Village Staff

Hey. Hey guiz.

This thread is obviously about arguing and not about the actual guide.

:?:

Jackstick wrote:
bluecoat is the tracker, Market Man6 is the detective, Paidea is the watcher, Super Saiyan Goku is the Doctor, Stone Cold Steve Austin is the Janitor, and I'm the Godfather.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2009, 10:36 pm 
Village Elder
Village Elder

I contributed 11.962331382031051158055484856198% alone, I demand credit immediately.

~Paidea

Paidea wrote:
And you're not dead yet? Topsummoner

~Paidea

His logic is flawless. Topsummoner

I concur. We must lynch him now for the sake of the metagame, we MUST teach people that they can't go around claiming "anniversary" and expect leniency. Topsummoner.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2009, 10:58 pm 
Coolest Wizard Ever
Village Elder
Village Elder

I think I was one of the first to recieve a version of it, and that was pretty long to begin with. When Lander says he wrote most of it, he means he compiled the initial version, sent it to be editted, re-editted it, sent it back, and then had other people write guides, which he then re-editted. I probably recieved three versions of just the first half (I didn't work too much on the rest).

This is what he means when he says 90%, and I can't speak for the other contributers, but I'm not offended. Lander did an excellent job organizing this (I didn't realize how long you had actually been working on this).

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2009, 11:41 pm 
Sorceror of Saradomin
Sorceror of Saradomin

It's funny how I'm not trying to bash you, and am giving you constructive criticism from the perspective of a user, yet don't take my suggestions to heart and just write them off immediately. However, I am not about to sugarcoat what I think is wrong with something that is supposed to be for a massive audience.

Last edited by Thyker on November 4th, 2009, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2009, 11:45 pm 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

Donor: Guardian (2009)
"I don't think this was very well thought out"

Not sure how that's considered constructive when there was clearly alot of thinking out going on here.

And your 'suggestions' were un-backed claims about what was done 'wrong'.

Join us at the RV Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/DgtPWPM

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2009, 11:49 pm 
Sorceror of Saradomin
Sorceror of Saradomin

Topsummoner wrote:
Thyker wrote:
This guide is horrendously non-user-friendly because I know when I click at something looking to be told a lot of information, I don't want everything I want to see behind a million spoiler tags. Show the damn content that the user came to see.

Spoiler tags help to organize the guide. If it was non-spoilered, it'd look alot more messy and LESS user-friendly, I don't know what you're smoking.

Here's an example of a good user-friendly guide on the forum: http://runevillage.com/ThePub/viewtopic ... 6&t=336053

How many spoiler tags do you see? One. and that one is not even necessary.

It's split up into sections with an index at the beginning, there's varying font sizes for varying important texts. There are pictures with examples (in this case quotes would be used).

If it looks messy when it's raw it's the fault of how the raw was written and would not look much (if at all) better hidden behind a spoiler tag.

~~~

Topsummoner wrote:
"I don't think this was very well thought out"

Not sure how that's considered constructive when there was clearly alot of thinking out going on here.

And your 'suggestions' were un-backed claims about what was done 'wrong'.

Shut up and let him look at was posted because it wasn't directed at you. Although you are forgetting the second part of that sentence which said it should go through more preprocessing. Oh, and would you look at that? I made another post with several suggestions. But hey, apparently my suggestions which I claimed to be what I thought was wrong were "un-backed" apparently I need to go through a distinct proof whenever I say my views and thoughts.

Merged your double-post. -Jaron

PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 12:09 am 
Big, dirty shithawks.
Village Staff
Village Staff

I appreciate any and all input, but you were literally saying things that weren't true. You said I forgot to mention that mafia was a game, I mentioned it in a pretty significant way under "Etiquette" where it belongs. At any rate, your criticism could have been worded better to seem less offensive or what have you. Maybe I'm just a sensitive little flower. :?:

I received some feedback from the collaborators about the spoiler tags but more people were indifferent or thought that it worked well, so I left it.

If others say that the spoiler tags aren't needed, like a significant amount of people, then I'll start thinking about changing it. Again, this is a guide to MAFIA, it isn't a linear type thing. There's A LOT more info here than in the sig guide as well. Again, I chose the best route for easy browsing. I doubt that anybody wants to read the whole thing at once.

You should have seen it before, each role's description was under spoiler tags. Jaron pretty quickly pointed out that that was too much, though. So again, if there are enough people who say the tags have to go, then so be it. But you also have to be thinking from a newbie's point of view. I thought, going into this, that if I were new and thinking about trying mafia, and I looked at this and saw one HUGE block of text, it would look pretty daunting and might turn me away. With the tags, I could take things one step at a time without worrying about what's next. Or, perhaps, I might already know the rules and am only looking for role descriptions. Etc, etc.

Jackstick wrote:
bluecoat is the tracker, Market Man6 is the detective, Paidea is the watcher, Super Saiyan Goku is the Doctor, Stone Cold Steve Austin is the Janitor, and I'm the Godfather.

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 12:15 am 
Sorceror of Saradomin
Sorceror of Saradomin

Landerpurex wrote:
At any rate, your criticism could have been worded better to seem less offensive or what have you. Maybe I'm just a sensitive little flower. :?:

Thyker wrote:
However, I am not about to sugarcoat what I think is wrong with something that is supposed to be for a massive audience.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 12:19 am 
The Mage of Doom
Village Elder
Village Elder

Donor: Knight (2009)
Landerpurex wrote:
I thought, going into this, that if I were new and thinking about trying mafia, and I looked at this and saw one HUGE block of text, it would look pretty daunting and might turn me away.

It wouldn't seem like a HUGE block of text if you sectioned it off in a similar fashion to the Sig guide.
That one appeals to the eye, and catches your attention.
This guide seems to be nothing but content hidden within many, many spoiler tags.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 12:22 am 
Big, dirty shithawks.
Village Staff
Village Staff

Landerpurex wrote:
I received some feedback from the collaborators about the spoiler tags but more people were indifferent or thought that it worked well, so I left it.

If others say that the spoiler tags aren't needed, like a significant amount of people, then I'll start thinking about changing it.

Jackstick wrote:

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: September 12th, 2011, 11:57 am 
*crinkles eyes*
Village Legend
Village Legend

Donor: Guardian (2005)
Aragorn Ix wrote:
mentos wrote:
I could probably provide more mafia tips than jack or jaron, considering all they have played is forum and rv chat mfia.

You realise they've played over 10 rounds of the legends mafia, which is generally a lot harder and therefore more fun.

Legends mafia and fun should no longer be included in the same sentence after last game. :facepalm:

Lol, not really sure I deserve a special thanks Lander; I didn't even read the whole thing over! :oops: I plead mitigating circumstances though; I have exams right now. Guide looks great though and hopefully I'll be able to offer some more specific feedback in a week or so.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2011, 8:02 pm 
Jess
Village Legend
Village Legend

Donor: Princess (2009)
Friend of Hiker
Seems that there was a lot of vitriol in this topic over something as small as a Mafia guide.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2011, 9:10 am 
RV's Swimming
Village Legend
Village Legend

Donor: Guardian (2010)
Tweedy wrote:
Aragorn Ix wrote:
mentos wrote:
I could probably provide more mafia tips than jack or jaron, considering all they have played is forum and rv chat mfia.

You realise they've played over 10 rounds of the legends mafia, which is generally a lot harder and therefore more fun.

Legends mafia and fun should no longer be included in the same sentence after last game. :facepalm:

Lol, not really sure I deserve a special thanks Lander; I didn't even read the whole thing over! :oops: I plead mitigating circumstances though; I have exams right now. Guide looks great though and hopefully I'll be able to offer some more specific feedback in a week or so.

In my defence I wrote that 2 years ago, haven't played a round for over a year.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2015, 2:53 am 
Mentally Capable
Knight
Knight

I remember playing as a Serial Killer... one kill per night. . .

My blog is: https://www.colorfulasylum.com/

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: September 13th, 2015, 4:46 pm 
Marketeer
Village Elder
Village Elder

Donor: Prince (2013)
red archerv wrote:
I remember playing as a Serial Killer... one kill per night. . .

Yeah, it's a really fun game!

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 11:06 am 
Priest of Saradomin
Priest of Saradomin

Thanks for the guide. I saw many Mafia games and had no idea what was going on, but it looked so interesting.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2016, 4:28 pm 
Big, dirty shithawks.
Village Staff
Village Staff

What an epic necro...

I forgot I wrote this. I hope people still find it useful!

Jackstick wrote:

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: July 12th, 2016, 5:01 pm 
It's tough, but I play.
Board & Chat Moderator
Board & Chat Moderator

Donor: Guardian (2010)
Landerpurex wrote:
What an epic necro...

I forgot I wrote this. I hope people still find it useful!

I never even knew it existed.

This is so drastically different looking than the mafia games I remember seeing on RV in chat and on the forums.

[ 39 posts ] 
Go to page: « Previous  1, 2  Page: