All times are UTC - 6 hours

[ 18 posts ] 

Post subject: Your Favourite Albums
PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 2:09 pm 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

Donor: Guardian (2009)
As one who has become a bit obsessed over music over the course of the last 6-8 years, I have listened to my fair share of albums, and I try to be always looking for ways to branch out.

So I figured I'd ask here: for those of you who like your music in album form, what are some of your favourites?

You can use http://topsters.net to make a chart of your Top 100 or Top 50 albums, or you can use the Collage mode to make a smaller chart than that. Or you can just list some, whatever.

I'm constantly making changes to it, but here's my current top 100.

edit: made some small changes in preparation for 100 album challenge
old chart:
Hidden: 

Hopefully some of you will share, comment, and recommend music to eachother and have like, a jolly time or whatever.

Join us at the RV Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/DgtPWPM

Last edited by Topsummoner on September 22nd, 2016, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Your Favourite Albums
PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 3:59 pm 
(soothzayer)
Village Staff
Village Staff

Dude. You like really good music. SO MUCH RADIOHEAD. I see Zappa and KING CRIMSON in there. QOTSA! NIN! Daft Punk. YES.

I will go on this site and make mine most likely tonight. This is cool and will be a really great thread.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 4:24 pm 
Village Czar
Village Czar

Donor: Prince (2011)
Top 100 albums... :?: That's a lot of music my man. Jeez, I don't think I've listened to 50 albums straight though, let alone listened to enough to judge a top 100.

I tried the collage tool thing but unless you've got 50 or more to put up there I don't think it "plays well" with what we're trying to do here. It doesn't list the names of the albums, just gives off the art... Which is cool but unless you recognize the album art it can be a bit useless? I don't know... Anyways, here is my Top 12:

1: Torches -- Foster The People
2: Only By The Night -- Kings of Leon
3: Audioslave -- Audioslave
4: By The Way -- Red Hot Chili Peppers
5: Sublime -- Sublime
6: Californiacation -- Red Hot Chili Peppers
7: Back To Black -- Amy Winehouse
8: Graduation -- Kanye West
9: Colour And Shape -- Foo Fighters
10: As I Am -- Alicia Keys
11: Licence To Ill -- Beastie Boys
12: Yourself Or Someone Like You -- Matchbox Twenty

EDIT: I'm going to edit in a 13th choice because it's such a lucky number.

13) The Fallout -- Default

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 5:35 pm 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

Frank 4.0.1 wrote:
I tried the collage tool thing but unless you've got 50 or more to put up there I don't think it "plays well" with what we're trying to do here. It doesn't list the names of the albums, just gives off the art... Which is cool but unless you recognize the album art it can be a bit useless? I don't know...

In Collage mode, if you click "Click here to configure the layout of your collage!" you can find a 'Caption' option that will either list all the albums off 'To the right' like on my chart, or 'Below the cover' individually.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 6:13 pm 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

Topsummoner wrote:
Frank 4.0.1 wrote:
I tried the collage tool thing but unless you've got 50 or more to put up there I don't think it "plays well" with what we're trying to do here. It doesn't list the names of the albums, just gives off the art... Which is cool but unless you recognize the album art it can be a bit useless? I don't know...

In Collage mode, if you click "Click here to configure the layout of your collage!" you can find a 'Caption' option that will either list all the albums off 'To the right' like on my chart, or 'Below the cover' individually.

Like so.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 8:34 pm 
AppleSauce
Village Legend
Village Legend

Donor: Prince (2006)
Now we're talking!

I have about 1800 songs in my library (I'm picky) and have them all rated on a 1-10 ranking system. So it's real easy to pull an average for each album. Now, without question, an album can be very different from the sum of its parts, both better and worse. But here is an objective view on my Top 10, based simply on the average song rating. Interestingly enough, no duplicate artists. Also interestingly, my favorite current artist right now, Beck, doesn't even make the Top 10.

1. Who's Next, The Who- 83.33
2. Aja, Steely Dan- 82.86
3. Under The Table And Dreaming, Dave Matthews Band- 80.83
4. Street Corner Talking, Savoy Brown- 80.00
5. Dark Side Of The Moon, Pink Floyd- 78.89
6. Stunt, Barenaked Ladies- 78.46
7. De Stijl ,The White Stripes- 78.46
8. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, The Flaming Lips- 78.18
9. By The Way, Red Hot Chili Peppers- 78.13
10. Weezer (Blue Album), Weezer- 78.00

Last edited by Applequest on September 19th, 2016, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 8:36 pm 
AppleSauce
Village Legend
Village Legend

Frank 4.0.1 wrote:

YES, thank you. I feel like BTW is incredibly underrated, and is clearly the best RHCP album (see my list as evidence). Definitely the soundtrack to my junior and senior years of high school.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 8:44 pm 
Do caep dance
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Frank 4.0.1 wrote:

wanna d8

~ Nevermore, H.O.P.E, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~
~ WvW Rank 964, sPvP Rank 75, 25,437 AP ~

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 8:48 pm 
AppleSauce
Village Legend
Village Legend

Very impressive list Top. That's awesome you've been able to dive so deep and are familiar with so many artists.

Maybe it's another topic we should have after this one, but we should talk top songs as well. As part of my rankings, I only allow 100 songs to get perfect 10 ratings. Back in school, I had rated them in order up to about 30 or so. I mentally keep track of my top 5 or so in order, with ideas on the rest of the top 10 or 15. I've been meaning to build it out to rank my top 100, but haven't had the time.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 9:09 pm 
Marketeer
Village Elder
Village Elder

Donor: Prince (2013)
jeez there is a lot of good music here.
But Top, With Teeth is the best NIN album.

-Anyone up for some 54-40? Dear Dear was a good album. Nice to Love you, and She La came from that one.
-The Tragically Hip, Fully Completely. That album had tracks like At The Hundredth Meridian, Fifty-Mission Cap, Courage, Wheat Kings, Looking For A Place to Happen.
https://www.google.ca/#q=tragically+hip+singles

-Barenaked Ladies, Maroon. Maroon had tracks like Pinch Me, Falling for the First Time.
-Shinedown, Leave a Whisper. With tracks like Simple Man, 45, Fly From the Whisper, Burning Bright.
-The Tea Party's self titled album, The Tea Party.
-Thornley, Come Again.
-The Trews, No Time For Later. (tracks: Hold Me In Your Arms, Paranoid Freak, Can't Stop Laughing, Gun Control, Man of Two Minds)

i'll think of more later.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2016, 6:25 am 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

Applequest wrote:
1. Who's Next, The Who- 83.33
2. Aja, Steely Dan- 82.86
3. Under The Table And Dreaming, Dave Matthews Band- 80.83
4. Street Corner Talking, Savoy Brown- 80.00
6. Stunt, Barenaked Ladies- 78.46
8. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, The Flaming Lips- 78.18

What I've heard on here are all great albums. Of course I love DSotM and Blue, but Who's Next was on my chart until just recently, Stunt is fun and Yoshimi has some great stuff on it (Particularly Fight Test, One More Robot, Are You A Hypnotist? and Do You Realize?)

Applequest wrote:
Very impressive list Top. That's awesome you've been able to dive so deep and are familiar with so many artists.

T-thanks...

Quote:
Maybe it's another topic we should have after this one, but we should talk top songs as well. As part of my rankings, I only allow 100 songs to get perfect 10 ratings. Back in school, I had rated them in order up to about 30 or so. I mentally keep track of my top 5 or so in order, with ideas on the rest of the top 10 or 15. I've been meaning to build it out to rank my top 100, but haven't had the time.

Ranking songs is... a lot harder than albums for me. That being said, my albums aren't really ranked from 1-100. The first ten are in order, the second tier in general I like more than the rest below that, but otherwise there's no particular order. So I could probably make a top 10, and then list 90 more songs I really like. But I'm really more of an albums guy. If you make that thread I'll try to participate though. We could even do it in here really.

Market Man6 wrote:
But Top, With Teeth is the best NIN album.

Nah. It's definitely The Downward Spiral. It's the soundtrack to a man self-destructing. I find it packs a lot more weight.

----------------------------------------

I see a LOT of love for By The Way in here. I've actually only heard Californication and Stadium Arcadium from RHCP, and while I like some tracks from each I don't really care for them as a whole. (StadArc in particular is really bloated. It definitely didn't need to be a double album)

But now I think I'll have to give By The Way a shot.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2016, 7:19 am 
AppleSauce
Village Legend
Village Legend

Topsummoner wrote:
I see a LOT of love for By The Way in here. I've actually only heard Californication and Stadium Arcadium from RHCP, and while I like some tracks from each I don't really care for them as a whole. (StadArc in particular is really bloated. It definitely didn't need to be a double album)

But now I think I'll have to give By The Way a shot.

There is definitely a clear progression with those 3 albums, you can see the band evolving, and I think it's fair to say BTW represents the middle ground of the 3 musically. Agree wholeheartedly on SA, no need for a double album there. If you pick the best 13 tracks, you are looking at an all-timer, but as it stands, meh. BTW is a LONG album though. 16 full length tracks. The impressive part is how un-bloated it is. The only track I consider filler on the album is Throw Away Your Television. I have only 4 of the 16 rated as less than an 8 (great song). Amazingly consistent quality for such a long album.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2016, 8:03 am 
Marketeer
Village Elder
Village Elder

Donor: Prince (2013)
Actually, Top, since you have some electronic music, i'll suggest Cell Dweller, Soundtrack For The Voices In My Head (Volume 1).
I think you will like that one

PostPosted: September 21st, 2016, 3:06 pm 
(soothzayer)
Village Staff
Village Staff

OK. Here is my Top 100 without any repeats from the same band. My list would basically be the discographies of 15 bands if I didn't do it this way.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2016, 3:09 pm 
(soothzayer)
Village Staff
Village Staff

These are on point, and I am proud of you:
Frank 4.0.1 wrote:
5: Sublime -- Sublime
8: Graduation -- Kanye West
11: Licence To Ill -- Beastie Boys

Applequest wrote:

I will also add that NIN's best album is without a doubt The Fragile. It is IMO the greatest double album of all time.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2016, 3:23 pm 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

Spirographed wrote:
OK. Here is my Top 100 without any repeats from the same band. My list would basically be the discographies of 15 bands if I didn't do it this way.

I'm surprised HTTT is your favourite Radiohead album! It's one of the ones I've listened to the least because it just fails to grab me. I definitely respect RAM and Frances The Mute from your top 10.... I couldn't get into Tool when I tried. Outkast I've been meaning to give a shot since I am a big fan of Hey Ya (I'm a sucker for upbeat songs with depressing lyrics, and Hey Ya might just be the king of that, especially considering how popular it was) I haven't heard the rest of your top 10 beyond that.

I see plenty of albums I've enjoyed beyond those on my chart here though... shoutout to Tenacious D S/T, Toxicity and Royal Blood S/T.

Tons of stuff I haven't heard at all either. What are the bands you think would clog up your chart? I don't think there's enough groups with large discographies I like THAT MUCH for that to happen. There's a few frequent fliers on my chart, Pink Floyd (7), Radiohead (5), Sufjan Stevens (4) in particular, but they only represent 16/100 albums together. So it's hard to picture.

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2016, 7:19 pm 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

By the way, for all the By The Way lovers in this thread, I gave it a spin.

It was pretty good. Pleasant and catchy enough... nothing really jumped out at me about it though on a first listen. I can already tell it's better than Cali and StadArc.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2016, 8:06 am 
(soothzayer)
Village Staff
Village Staff

Topsummoner wrote:
Spirographed wrote:

I'm surprised HTTT is your favourite Radiohead album! It's one of the ones I've listened to the least because it just fails to grab me. I definitely respect RAM and Frances The Mute from your top 10.... I couldn't get into Tool when I tried. Outkast I've been meaning to give a shot since I am a big fan of Hey Ya (I'm a sucker for upbeat songs with depressing lyrics, and Hey Ya might just be the king of that, especially considering how popular it was) I haven't heard the rest of your top 10 beyond that.

I see plenty of albums I've enjoyed beyond those on my chart here though... shoutout to Tenacious D S/T, Toxicity and Royal Blood S/T.

Tons of stuff I haven't heard at all either. What are the bands you think would clog up your chart? I don't think there's enough groups with large discographies I like THAT MUCH for that to happen. There's a few frequent fliers on my chart, Pink Floyd (7), Radiohead (5), Sufjan Stevens (4) in particular, but they only represent 16/100 albums together. So it's hard to picture.

Thanks for sharing.

Hahaha HTTT, man. Everyone says that. I don't know why I like it the most. Probably because the overall feel is the darkest. The tension and release is very, very dynamic, as well. Get into Tool, man. Listen to the albums in reverse chronological order. The first couple albums are kind of cheesy in parts. Outkast is a must, man. The have always been my favorite flavor of rap/pop. They push the boundaries of the genres to the max. As for the others that you haven't heard:
-Meshuggah's Catch Thirty Three is one 47+ minute song that they split up into 13 tracks. There is no melody. It is purely metal groove and odd timing. The result is an album that could have only been written and performed by aliens.
-Converge's Jane Doe is the most musically aggressive album you will probably ever listen to. It's a hybrid hardcore punk/grindcore masterpiece. Very fast. Very abrasive. I hated it the first time I listened to it, but it eventually blew my mind. The drumming, man....the drumming.
-'68's In Humor and Sadness is, like, I don't even know...Jack White meets Hardcore and has a Lo-Fi baby. Great song writing. Great energy.
-Loud Harp's Asaph is hands down the most pleasant and peaceful album I have ever listened to.

I listen to these full or near full discogs:
Queens of the Stone Age - 6
Cloudkicker - 7 (plus some fantastic EPs)
Meshuggah - 6 (+1 next month)
Radiohead - 7 (there are more, but meh)
Deftones - 8
Incubus - 5 (there are more, but meh)
Local H - 7
The Mars Volta - 6
NIN - 6 (there are more, but meh)
Primus - 7 (there's one more, but it sucks)
The White Stripes - 5
Converge - 5 (there are more, but meh)
Daft Punk - 5
The Chariot - 5
Beck - 8
Russian Circles - 6

That brings it to 99 albums, and that isn't getting into any of the classics. I could go all in for Zeppelin and Floyd and The Beatles and Jethro Tull and etc.

[ 18 posts ]