All times are UTC - 6 hours

[ 31 posts ] 
Go to page: « Previous  1, 2  Page:

Post subject: Re: iPhone users are insane.
PostPosted: December 20th, 2009, 4:39 pm 
Ultimate Xestroyer.
Village Elder
Village Elder

Noen wrote:
As long as I can talk and text with my phone i'm good :)

Those are deprecated features which are no longer used.

Speaking of zooming, I zoom in my N900 by drawing circles. I have already got so used to it that I sometimes try to do that with my mouse on my computer, and that never ends well.

The Oldest member since Rubinous mysteriously disappeared!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: December 21st, 2009, 8:44 pm 
Zoboomafoo!
Village Elder
Village Elder

Donor: Guardian (2008)
Miloclaus wrote:
Why is multitouch useful? Even with computers, how often do you actually need to press two buttons at the same time, (if you count shift/ctrl/alt+char as one button). Other than gaming of course. How often do you need to click two icons at once? I just don't see the point. Not saying just because Maemo5 doesn't support multitouch, because Maemo6 will.
Yesterday I played around with my friend's iPhone and apparently it has multi-touch monitor. To be honest, I didn't see the point for that, no idea where it would be good, but usually phone is operated by one hand only, and most of the times 4 of your fingers from that hand are behind the phone so multi-touch then doesn't make much sense. But yeah, I don't have experience with multi-touch stuff, so therefore my opinion here doesn't matter.

Applications which you can be _bought_ is definitely a big one in mobile industry. That is probably the main reason why N900 will fail as an iPhone killer. Currently it doesn't have application store at all, all applications are free, but most of them are still in developement stage or testing, and because those stages are controlled by the community, they are going to stay there for quite some time, even though they are perfectly good for using already, but normal users aren't willing to try a program that says 'devel' or 'testing' in its tag.

N900 is a brilliant phone, if you are willing to go through some trouble. Basically it has been made for developers, but then bunch of end-users decided to buy the phone because it sounded brilliant and that is where it failed. Nokia should have punched the end-users in the face and just sold the phone to those people that will eventually make it the iPhone killer, but since Nokia didn't punch end-users in the face, end-users will punch Nokia in the face noone will buy N900 after the first rush. Unfortunate, but that is just how it is going to be.

Multi-touch is a feature that can't be appreciated in a short test-drive. For someone who uses the phone fairly regularly, it opens a lot of doors that you don't even recognize that you appreciate. Gaming is obviously one of the biggest ones, near impossible without it, but it aids greatly in navigating and zooming in on particular things.

I agree, though, I "double-tap" to zoom far more often than I pinch and spread to zoom, but multi-touch is a feature I would not want to lose. It just becomes second nature, and until you become attached to a phone with it, it's hard to grasp it.

The N900 seems like a decent phone, yeah, but there's a long list of phones with I'd use over it if I didn't have an iPhone. (Isn't it landscape only? That's a definite deal-breaker for me. And it seems pretty thick, the reason I don't like slide-out keyboards. That and resistive touch-screens are inherently inferior to capacitive.) Nokia just hasn't been that impressive lately, in my opinion. They pump out a million phones but don't really seem to concentrate on perfecting one. Apple releases one phone a year that is just a further improved version of its last. And a phone without a decent application base is nothing to me. Apps change it from a phone to a mini-computer, and exponentially increase its value.

I think it would take a lot more than what you suggested to make the N900 an iPhone killer (and in all honesty, biases aside here, the Palm Pre, N95, N97, Blackberry Bold, HTC Hero, Droid, Blackberry Storm, G1, etc. have all been claimed to be definite iPhone killers, and we all see where they are now, the iPhone won't be beaten any time soon unfortunately - unfortunately because competition will make Apple improve my phone). Even if they made it primarily for developers, who are they developing it for then? The iPhone definitely doesn't have the perfect developing platform (but it's damn good) but a developer can reach so many users at once that there really is no other platform to develop for. Tapulous, a small company with 20 employees is making over 1 million dollars a month from the iPhone.

I'll stick to my theory: powerful and numerous amounts of apps, combined with simplicity sells a phone. I can have an app for practically anything. No other phone really has this right now. Android is getting there, but you can only have 256MB of apps installed at once (I have one app right now that is 1.5GB). And just like how the rich get richer, the iPhone will only lengthen its lead. I really fail to see how it will be be overcome.

But hey, that's just my opinion. The beauty of the phone market is that there's a phone for everyone, and not one phone will be good for every single person. For multi-taskers, the Palm Pre. For open-sourcies, Android. Corporate people, Blackberry. If you like the N900, all the power to you. It does seem like a nice phone, but it doesn't seem to stand-out. Nothing makes me want to specifically buy that phone over something else.

bartoron wrote:
Donut Juice wrote:
Bart, I don't think much of the Droid. Ugly phone and no multi-touch, I'll pass. But what is a really nice phone is the HTC HD 2. Beautiful phone with a massive screen, shame it's marred by Windows Mobile (come on HTC).

The Drois is definitely not ugly. I think the iPhone is nice looking, but the Droid is even nicer looking. Best of all, it has a physical keyboard. Multitouch is a joke, to be honest. The only use I've discovered for multitouch on my iPod Touch is for zooming in and out in Safari, but you can already do that by double-tapping the screen.
Be your own judge, but Verizon who sells the phone basically even came out and said it's not as attractive as the iPhone in a commercial they released. The bulkiness of it and the ugly chin at the bottom really do it for me, but to each their own.

Image Image

It's really no competition to me, but the Droid is, as Verizon said, not marketed to be an attractive phone aesthetically speaking. Not that it's available in Canada anyway. ;)

Geez, I can never seem to get all my words in a short post. They never seem this long as I type them… Anyway, I stick to my opinion: iPhone users are no different than any other product user. The amount of apparent limitations the iPhone does have, though, is greatly exaggerated.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2009, 12:37 pm 
Cant believe I'm still a
Count
Count

The European Droid is Multitouch, it's just the American Droid that isn't. American Droid can be Multitouch. If you are going to say one phone isn't any good, at least get your information right.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2009, 4:43 pm 
Zoboomafoo!
Village Elder
Village Elder

Pupsin wrote:
The European Droid is Multitouch, it's just the American Droid that isn't. American Droid can be Multitouch. If you are going to say one phone isn't any good, at least get your information right.
Can ≠ is. I never said it was physically impossible, but I said the Droid has no multi-touch. If you buy a Droid from Verizon right now, you will not be able to pinch-to-zoom within the browser. So what did I actually get wrong? If you are going to criticize a post, at least read it.

I really don't understand your point. You even say it isn't multi-touch. Toting a hacked, unofficial solution that can brick your phone is hardly resolving the issue.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2009, 8:51 pm 
Cant believe I'm still a
Count
Count

Donut Juice wrote:
Pupsin wrote:
Can ≠ is. I never said it was physically impossible, but I said the Droid has no multi-touch. If you buy a Droid from Verizon right now, you will not be able to pinch-to-zoom within the browser. So what did I actually get wrong? If you are going to criticize a post, at least read it.

I really don't understand your point. You even say it isn't multi-touch. Toting a hacked, unofficial solution that can brick your phone is hardly resolving the issue.

You do know that not all Droids are sold by Verizon, they are also sold by Carriers in Europe.The Droid Multitouch situation is like the current situation with the iPod Touch BlueTooth, it is enabled but its not fully enabled. Its practically the same thing. And rooting your Android Phone is like the iPhone Jailbreak, they both have the risk of bricking your phone,.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2009, 9:37 pm 
Zoboomafoo!
Village Elder
Village Elder

Pupsin wrote:
Donut Juice wrote:
Pupsin wrote:

You do know that not all Droids are sold by Verizon, they are also sold by Carriers in Europe.The Droid Multitouch situation is like the current situation with the iPod Touch BlueTooth, it is enabled but its not fully enabled. Its practically the same thing. And rooting your Android Phone is like the iPhone Jailbreak, they both have the risk of bricking your phone,.
Well aware, yes. That's why I said if you buy a Droid from Verizon, you won't be able to pinch and zoom in the browser. Is that not correct? The European version can, but that's not sold on Verizon, which I think I made clear I was referring to.

And yes, it is the same with the iPod touch Bluetooth. Non-existent, for all that counts. The end-user cannot take advantage of it, so it doesn't matter. The only difference is that the US Droid users can take advantage of multi-touch, through risking their phone being bricked, warranty voided and being out a phone and hundreds of dollars.

Jailbreaking an iPhone really has no risks, it's hacked so that the phone can always be restored no matter what state it's in. I've yet to see one documented case where someone has bricked their iPhone, it's literally a one-click process right now and is highly tested. (Compare that to the Droid's alpha release with convoluted steps.)

Don't get me wrong, the Droid is an alright phone, but I really don't find it that impressive (though, the notification system is awesome on Android). There's other phones I'd look at before considering it.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2009, 12:41 pm 
Sorceror of Saradomin
Sorceror of Saradomin

Donut Juice wrote:

And yes, it is the same with the iPod touch Bluetooth. Non-existent, for all that counts. The end-user cannot take advantage of it, so it doesn't matter. The only difference is that the US Droid users can take advantage of multi-touch, through risking their phone being bricked, warranty voided and being out a phone and hundreds of dollars.

Except bluetooth DOES work, just not to send pics or other media. i can send contacts and use apps that use bluetooth.

Not that important just a point

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: December 24th, 2009, 10:31 am 
Zoboomafoo!
Village Elder
Village Elder

reggie wrote:
Donut Juice wrote:

Except bluetooth DOES work, just not to send pics or other media. i can send contacts and use apps that use bluetooth.

Not that important just a point
Oh, really? My sister's second gen iPod touch seems Bluetooth-challenged.

*checks*

Oh my god. Bluetooth was turned off. :facepalm: Guess that was why, I always leave mine on.

Thanks Reggie. :P

Edit: An oh, excellent. http://keyboard.ringwald.ch/Welcome.html There's now a hack to allow you to use Bluetooth keyboards with your iPhone. Now I don't need to bring my laptop everywhere, I can just bring my foldy-keyboard. Score. :D

PostPosted: December 24th, 2009, 4:43 pm 
Ultimate Xestroyer.
Village Elder
Village Elder

I'm pretty sure that, this what I have in my hand is smaller than carrying foldable keyboard around you everywhere you go. Minus-sides are, that you can't really do quick typing (10-finger system, and etc) with such small keyboard, so bigger would be better there.

But hmm, I don't see the point of iPod and iPhone. As far as I have figured out, the only difference between those two is that iPod doesn't have GSM/G3 receiver/transmitter. They even look the same.

The Oldest member since Rubinous mysteriously disappeared!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: December 24th, 2009, 6:15 pm 
Sorceror of Saradomin
Sorceror of Saradomin

Miloclaus wrote:
But hmm, I don't see the point of iPod and iPhone. As far as I have figured out, the only difference between those two is that iPod doesn't have GSM/G3 receiver/transmitter. They even look the same.

Headphone socket is in a different place too :O

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: December 25th, 2009, 8:29 pm 
Zoboomafoo!
Village Elder
Village Elder

Miloclaus wrote:
I'm pretty sure that, this what I have in my hand is smaller than carrying foldable keyboard around you everywhere you go. Minus-sides are, that you can't really do quick typing (10-finger system, and etc) with such small keyboard, so bigger would be better there.

I'm pretty sure that is significantly smaller than a real keyboard, therefore rendering your point moot. ;) All smartphones have keyboards, I don't see what you're implying. Of course I'm not going to bring a keyboard for texting, but if I'm at work and want to type out something for school subtly and quickly and without having to carry around my laptop, it's easy.

I don't understand your second point, haha. Do you not understand having an iPod and iPhone in one device, because if so that's so you don't have to carry around multiple devices. If you don't understand having both separate devices, neither do I, one is my sister's. :P I guess you could argue the iPod touch has significantly larger storage, if you need that (room for 2 flash chips versus one). Doesn't affect me.

And yeah, it's also missing a GPS, mic, camera and digital compass. Toshiba just came out with 64GB NAND Flash chips, so next year the device is going to be beastly with 128GB storage. Bloody expensive, but nice.

[ 31 posts ] 
Go to page: « Previous  1, 2  Page: