[ 328 posts ] 
Go to page: « Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next »  Page:

Post subject: Re: Top vs Spiro - 100 Album Challenge
PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 4:26 pm 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

Donor: Guardian (2009)
I wrote some stuff about this album when I relistened to it recently.

Join us at the RV Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/DgtPWPM

PostPosted: March 1st, 2017, 6:30 pm 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

Day 79
C418 - Minecraft OST (Volume Alpha)

I've played a lot of Minecraft in my time so I expect to be familiar with some of this.

Pros:
- Absolutely cozy and soothing.
- Wonderful sound pallette.
- Bits and pieces I recognized from ingame, which gave me a bit of a nostalgia trip.
- Reused musical motifs all over the place.

Cons:
- Most of it is simply background, which doesn't make for a very engaging listen.

Highlight: "Sweden" is one of the tracks I recognized from the game. Piano-driven piece with some subtle accents that worm their way in over the run, giving way later to a plucked string section. The two parts then join hands to play us out. This melody is engrained in my heart. Special mention to "Minecraft", the first piece of music I ever remember hearing in Minecraft back in the pre-Survival days.

Very lovely soundtrack. Relaxing and nostalgic. I think I might try sleeping to this sometime soon haha.

Due to its ambient nature though I don't see myself listening to this too frequently. But you never know.

Overall Score: 8/10

Coming up next...
Day 80
Limp Biskit's Significant Other and The Young Veins' Take A Vacation!

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2017, 11:10 pm 
(soothzayer)
Village Staff
Village Staff

Day 80
The Young Veins - Take A Vacation!

If I recall correctly this is one of the not-Brendon dudes from Panic!. I think I heard a track off this a few years ago, and enjoyed it.

Pros:
- Really great 1st era of rock feel.
- Short and sweet songs that knew their purpose, got there and ended without adding unnecessary fluff.
- I really liked the production and tone on everything (but the drums, although I know why they sounded the way they did and am sure it was intentional).
- On a personal note, our Office Manager was complaining to me about the podcasts I was listening to, so I said, "OK. I'll put on the album of the day. " To which she objected and asked for something "summery". To which I said pick: Talk radio or the album of the day. She reluctantly chose A.O.T.D. and halfway through she was pleased to announce that this is a summer sounding album, to which I agreed. This would be a great summer album.

Cons:
- Unoriginal.
- Pretty similar sounding throughout, especially vocal melodies and harmonies.

Highlight: "Everyone But You" had really great electric piano that instantly made this my favorite track on the album. This track reminded me of Radiohead for some reason.

Overall Score: 7/10

I enjoyed the first listen a lot more than the second. I may come back to this...in the summer.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2017, 8:16 am 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

Day 80
Limp Bizkit - Signifigant Other

uh oh

Pros:
- Musically it's not really terrible or incompetent or anything.

Cons:
- The production's a major turnoff here most of the time. Like the thrash guitar just sounds downright awful. Muddy is the word, perhaps?
- eeeeeesh i can't get behind this rapping especially with the vulgar and edgy lyricism going on.
- Classic CD-era bloating.
- what even is this "Outro" holy Fuzzy Bunny

Highlight: "Re-Arranged" succeeded in letting me take this album seriously for a moment. I actually dug the bass and guitar on this track, and Durst's vocals weren't half bad. Cool outro too.

One wonders to what degree all this is serious.

Either way it's not for me.

Overall Score: 3/10

Coming up next...
Day 81
Chevelle's Point #1 and The Killers' Sam's Town

PostPosted: March 6th, 2017, 8:11 am 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

Day 81
Chevelle - Point #1

Home stretch.

Pros:
- I liked the way the riff from "Open" continued into "Point #1", establishing some cohesion straight off the bat.
- The best tracks here are the one with a distinct build from quieter clean stuff into heavy finishers. I'm looking at tracks like "Dos", "Blank Earth", and "Peer" here. Definitely seems to be this group's strong suit.
- Really appreciate the dynamic range on that note, when your quiet parts are quieter it makes the heavy parts more impactful.
- Like the clean guitar tone.

Cons:
- There was a strange... almost 'muted' sound to the production. It just didn't sound very sharp and I'm not sure why, but it really bothered me. Not digging the bass, drums or heavy guitar tone most of the time here.
- Vocal style's not doing it for me, whether it's the quiet or loud parts.
- Many of the tracks just aren't doing anything interesting. There's some alright musicianship on display here but it's not on the level of Tool which this band is clearly taking after.

Highlight: "Blank Earth" has a great grunge-like quiet/loud/quiet/loud dynamic that really works.

Not too interested here and struggling to explain, but I did my best to try and articulate why.

Overall Score: 4/10

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 9:37 pm 
(soothzayer)
Village Staff
Village Staff

Day 81
The Killers - Sam's Town

Sorry about the delay. Life before a cross-country move leaves no time for love, Dr. Jones.

I really enjoy this band on the radio, and have always meant to check em out, so this is a long time coming...

Pros:
- Really strong opener, the title track "Sam's Town", that's intro reminded me of the intro to The Smashing Pumpkins song "Tonight, Tonight".
- I like this style of rock a lot. It's fun, straight forward and has an electronic twist with the synth throughout.
- It was nice to have heard the singles, "When You Were Young" & "Read My Mind"
- Great closing track, "Exitlude"
- Production was solid. Even with the synth, it felt like a rock album. Wasn't over produced at all.

Cons:
- There were a couple songs thatI want really feeling. "Why Do I Keep Counting?", for example, was pretty meh. Filler- ish.
- Dude's voice got monotonous. I can't really explain it. It's like he only uses 3 notes on the whole album and 1 of them is a stretch for him. Hahaha I can't quite explain it...

Highlight - "This River Is Wild" had a sort of...I dunno, spooky, I guess, sort of sound. The synth was my fav on the album. It had a pretty bangin' pre-chorus, too.

Overall Score: 6/10

This was better than decent. I'm coming back to this for sure.

Coming up next...
Day 82
Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory and The Strokes' Is This It

PostPosted: March 14th, 2017, 9:53 pm 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

Day 82
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

Linkin Park. I can't think of a group I have a more negative preconception of. I haven't ever actually listened to one of their albums, but I just associate them as the soundtrack to pure edginess. The same guy who recced me White Pony years ago was also trying to get me to listen to Linkin Park, but I avoided it.

I know a few of these tracks for sure, going in. "Crawling" and "In The End" at the very least. Let's see how it goes.

Pros:
- High energy and actually pretty catchy.
- Very memorable haha
- Some actually nice atmospheric accents in some of the tracks "By Myself", "In The End" etc.
- Actually really cohesive and a good length. Nice.

Cons:
- I can't take it seriously beyond all the edge haha.
- Really questionable lyricisim that just makes me laugh. "keep that in mind I designed this rhyme to explain in due time" haha
- There's my usual issues with numetal; the production, the downtuned guitars, the rapping etc etc you've heard this all before.

Highlight: I gotta give it to "In The End", nostalgia rush from this track haha. It's got some nice atmospheric accents like I mentioned earlier, the piano, the high guitar, and the interplay between the lead vocals and the rapping actually works pretty well.

I'll be honest, I derived a fair amount of enjoyment from this album, but almost entirely for ironic reasons. For one of my listens, I listened to this while playing Reaper in Overwatch, who, if you don't know, is a massive edgelord, just a total parody of edgy characters/personalities. And for a few minutes, I understood my place in the world.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2017, 7:24 am 
AppleSauce
Village Legend
Village Legend

Donor: Prince (2006)
Topsummoner wrote:
Day 82
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

Linkin Park. I can't think of a group I have a more negative preconception of. I haven't ever actually listened to one of their albums, but I just associate them as the soundtrack to pure edginess. The same guy who recced me White Pony years ago was also trying to get me to listen to Linkin Park, but I avoided it.

I know a few of these tracks for sure, going in. "Crawling" and "In The End" at the very least. Let's see how it goes.

Pros:
- High energy and actually pretty catchy.
- Very memorable haha
- Some actually nice atmospheric accents in some of the tracks "By Myself", "In The End" etc.
- Actually really cohesive and a good length. Nice.

Cons:
- I can't take it seriously beyond all the edge haha.
- Really questionable lyricisim that just makes me laugh. "keep that in mind I designed this rhyme to explain in due time" haha
- There's my usual issues with numetal; the production, the downtuned guitars, the rapping etc etc you've heard this all before.

Highlight: I gotta give it to "In The End", nostalgia rush from this track haha. It's got some nice atmospheric accents like I mentioned earlier, the piano, the high guitar, and the interplay between the lead vocals and the rapping actually works pretty well.

I'll be honest, I derived a fair amount of enjoyment from this album, but almost entirely for ironic reasons. For one of my listens, I listened to this while playing Reaper in Overwatch, who, if you don't know, is a massive edgelord, just a total parody of edgy characters/personalities. And for a few minutes, I understood my place in the world.

Hybrid Theory is definitely not a bad album. There are quite a few good tracks. Moreso than most albums, there are parts of songs that are great and parts of the same song that suck. I.e. love the verses, hate the chorus, or vice versa, or maybe the bridge is awesome.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 2:25 pm 
(soothzayer)
Village Staff
Village Staff

Day 82
The Strokes - Is This It

Same as The Killers, really:
I enjoy this band on the radio, and have always meant to check em out, so this is a long time coming...

Pros:
- This is a really fantastic pop-rock album. Catchy vocal melodies. Catchy riffs. Great song writing, and all topped with a bit of grit.
- The guitar player surprised me every once in a while with a pretty killer solo.
- I really enjoyed everything about this, really. It's my type of stuff. It was poppy with a slice of weird (Like that alternating riff in "Barely Legal", etc). Some of it droned on when it should have. Some of it was spastic and quickly changing.
- Great dynamic within songs and from song to song.
- I liked the lo-fi production.
- I kept thinking, "This is fun...I'd really like to see these dudes live." So, I think I will.

Cons:
- Tbh, I enjoyed everything so much on the 2 listens that I gave it, that nothing stuck out very much. It was all enjoyable. I couldn't really single out a highlight, even.
- I guess another con could be that the songs were pretty short, although, again, it's pop, so that's part of it. I dunno. It would have been nice to have at least ONE song hit the 4 minute mark or dare I say.....5 minute!?!?!?!!?

Highlight - I guess that I'll say "The Modern Age" because this was the first track where the guitar playing made me go, "Huh...this is....like, good. This dude can play." But, again. The whole album was really great.

Overall Score: 9/10

I really, really enjoyed this listen, and will definitely be coming back to it, and this band.

Coming up next...
Day 83
†††'s ††† and Death Grips' Exmilitary

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 8:00 pm 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

Day 83
††† - †††

Not to be confused with Cross by french house group Justice.

Pros:
- Decent chill vibe.
- Like the sounds of pretty much everything except the vocals. Low beats, electronic accents, stuff like the slide guitar on "Nine†een Nine†y Four"
- Felt a noticable improvement as the compilation headed towards the end, most of the tracks I enjoyed were on the second half.

Cons:
- IT'S THE DEFTONES GUY ON VOCALS I KNEW IT
- Not really a cohesive album, I see this is because it's a compilation of 3 EPs though.
- There's too much of this and it's all invariably downtempo so I just get kind of bored.

Highlight: "†he Epilogue" I found the beat kind of groovy and really liked the way this track built, with the synths coming in one by one to an actually exciting hook. It was the first point where this comp caught my attention.

The best comparison I can make to this is Archive, specifically their period with Craig Walker (the two albums you listened to). A kind of chill electronic rock. But I like Craig as a vocalist far more than Chino, and Archive's got far more interesting instrumentals. Maybe this is an unfair comparison, but this was an album that made me wish I was listening to something else.

Last edited by Topsummoner on March 22nd, 2017, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2017, 8:52 pm 
(soothzayer)
Village Staff
Village Staff

Day 83
Death Grips - Exmilitary

I remember not liking the first DG album on this chart because of yelling.

Pros:
- The music wasn't so spastic this time. There were, musically, chill moments, or at least moments that rode beats.
- Some recognizable samples such as Quentin Tarantino soundtrack elements were fun.
- Most of the tracks had an industrial feel to them that reminded me of NIN or Mindless Self Indulgence.

Cons:
- Vocals, obvi. Dude is just annoying. He was actually chiller in spots on this one. It wasn't 100% yelling. However, I realized the chiller parts reminded me of the weird dub-esque rap scene in the UK ala Asian Dub Foundation. I really don't like those type of vocals either.
- Lyrical content was not my bag. We get it... you're edgy.
- "Cut Throat (Instrumental)" was not instrumental...
- The album got spastic in the last half. Was noise.

Highlight - "Culture Shock" and the end of "Guillotine" had really great Trent Reznor vibes to them.

Overall Score: 5/10

Musically, there was a lot to enjoy, but the vocals were so, so bad.

Coming up next...
Day 84
Korn's Follow the Leader and Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 6:34 pm 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

Day 84
Korn - Follow The Leader

nu metal

Pros:
- its not unbearable to listen to

Cons:
- it's almost like there's a checklist of things most numetal albums need to fill out to fit the mold, and most of them are designed to turn me off
DON'T LIKE THE:
- production
- effects
- mixing
- vocalist
- lyrics
- length
- rapping
- homogenous
- hidden track
- anything really

Highlight: "Dead Bodies Everywhere"

i'd put more effort into this but i think you've read this exact write-up a few times by now and i hate sounding like a broken record

Overall Score: 2/10

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 8:31 am 
(soothzayer)
Village Staff
Village Staff

Due to an insanely crazy schedule with the cross country move, and for the sake of getting this challenge finished, I'm going to be pretty skimpy with my reviews from henceforth. I may or may not come back and edit better reviews in.

Day 84
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

This is my 2nd fav JT album. Aqualung being #1.

Pros:
- The whole premise for this album is fantastic. A self aware concept album with a prog twist is right up my alley. Great attitude.
- The music is prog. It explores the rock sound of the time to the fullest and mixes in jazz.
- LONG SONG

Cons:
- Not quite as rock oriented as Aqualung, which I prefer.
- Anderson's flute playing is good, but he hasn't reached his full potential, yet and sometimes I go "Okaaaaayyyyyy...we get it. You play the flute." when listening to this. Other times I like it all. It's weird.

Highlight - "Pt. 2" is my fav.

Overall Score: 7/10

Coming up next...
Day 85
Dredg's Catch Without Arms and Bayside's The Walking Wounded

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 9:32 pm 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

Day 85
dredg – Catch Without Arms

idk let’s see

Pros:
- You may have had a point about how I prefer my guitars higher... love the guitars on this album, lead, rhythm and bass alike.
- Manages to be progressive and accessible at the same time. Makes for an easy listen but doesn’t get boring.
- The track lengths feel just right for this sort of prog/alt fusion, short enough to still be bite-sized but long enough to have room to breathe.

Cons:
- Vocals were a mixed bag for me, sometimes I liked them, other times I didn’t. I think it largely depending on the tone of the track. Feel like I’m complaining about vocals a lot lately, wonder what’s up with that.

Highlight: “The Tanbark is Hot Lava” had a cool intro, a quiet guitar lead into a pounding drum and rhythm blast, and this energy keeps up across the whole track except for a few very short slow moments for effect; this reminded me a lot of First Temple-era Closure In Moscow.

Pretty good listen, I can see myself coming back to some stuff here.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 11:44 am 
(soothzayer)
Village Staff
Village Staff

Topsummoner wrote:
[Feel like I’m complaining about vocals a lot lately, wonder what’s up with that.

Yes. Yeeeessssssss.....mwugahhahahahaahah

Come to the dark side of only listening to instrumental music.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 8:26 pm 
(soothzayer)
Village Staff
Village Staff

Day 85
Bayside's - The Walking Wounded

I dunno

Pros:
- Decent straight up rock music.
- Guitars really shined a lot of the time.
- Up tempo songwriting.

Cons:
- Nothing really stuff stood out.
- Vocals were just ok, but I leaned toward neh.

Really just ok.

Coming up next...
Day 86
Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced? and BADBADNOTGOOD's III

Last edited by Spirographed on April 2nd, 2017, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2017, 7:22 am 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

Day 86
The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Are You Experienced?

The US tracklisting specifically. I’ve heard this a couple times. Never really blew me away but let’s give it another go.

Pros:
- Hendrix is a very impressive guitarist, but that goes without saying, doesn’t it?
- Very loose and free form... the songs take their time and feel improvisational.
- Grooooooovy

Cons:
- This 60s psych production is a little too rough around the edges for me. I can tell there’s some impressive musicianship on display here but... it gets a little lost in the purple haze, so to speak.
- Plenty of the tracks are just kind of unexciting blues numbers, and Hendrix’s vocals are serviceable but far from gripping. The drug and love culture expressed in many of the lyrics too is uninteresting.

Highlight: “Third Stone From The Sun” is an extended psych space voyage where Hendrix is let loose from the shackles of structure and grooves for nearly seven minutes straight. Very cool.

I loathe to admit it but much of this record still doesn’t really speak to me. I really want to like this more than I do, but it’s really hard to not just tune it out.
Undeniably massively influential though, I’ll give it that.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 9:50 pm 
(soothzayer)
Village Staff
Village Staff

Day 86
BADBADNOTGOOD's - III

I dunno

Pros:
- Sweet, sweet, instrumental music
- A lot of neat jazz elements
- Every once in a while a bass line would drop hard
- Songwriting was on point. Great tension and release. Great song length.
- All talented musicians, but the drums especially impressed me.

Cons:
- With the jazz keys and guitar I wanted it to go a bit further into jazz scale dissonance, at times.

Highlight - "Can't Leave The Night" was the first instance of a bass line dropping. It totally caught me by surprise...in a great way.

Overall Score: 9/10

I'll definitely check out more of this band. Right up my alley.

Coming up next...
Day 87
Eagles of Death Metal's Death By Sexy and Lighthouse's One Fine Morning

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 8:19 am 
Supreme Discord Overlord
RV Discord Administrator
RV Discord Administrator

Day 87
Eagles of Death Metal – Death By Sexy

I might have been really worried by this band name and album title if I didn’t know Josh Homme was involved.

Pros:
- Short and sweet; not just the album length, but many of the song lengths too. Works really well for this style of low-brow garage rock.
- The collective talent of this twosome was able to throw together a remarkably full sound.
- Fun and easy to digest.

Cons:
- The vocalist hung around in his falsetto a little too much.
- It kind of feels like fast food, sounds good and enjoyable to listen to, but I walk away feeling a lil queasy and unfulfilled.

Highlight: “Keep Your Head Up” woooooo

OFFICIAL JOSH HOMME SEAL OF QUALITY

Overall Score: 6.5/10

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 10:07 pm 
(soothzayer)
Village Staff
Village Staff

Day 87
Lighthouse's - One Fine Morning

I'm thinking this is '90s post-grunge for some reason. Nope. That's Lifehouse. Nvm.

Pros:
- First impression was, "Didn't realize that Canada got down like this in the early '70s." It's got a bounce to the classic rock. A funkiness. A dancyness.
- Had a decent classic rock vibe mixed with some funk vibes.
- Drummer was good.

Cons:
- Vocals were cheesy. Like, there were many songs that were half good/half bad because of the vocals. See: "Old Man".
- Wasn't really a fan of the horns. Most of the time. They were ok in songs like "Step Out On The Sea", although the vocals nullified that.
- Pretty lame ending.

Highlight - The opener, "Love Of A Woman" was the best track, hands down. Great dynamics. Great sax. Strong first impression, which unfortunately didn't continue through the rest of the album.

Overall Score: 4/10

Meh

Coming up next...
Day 88
Jan Lisiecki's Chopin: Etudes and John Prine's John Prine

[ 328 posts ] 
Go to page: « Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next »  Page: