All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic   Page 1 of 2
 [ 21 posts ] 
Go to page: 1, 2  Next »  Page:
Author Message

 Post subject: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 5:00 am 
Big, dirty shithawks.
Village Staff
Village Staff
User avatar

Joined: July 19th, 2004, 10:21 pm
Posts: 6,079
Location: Being white in Baltimore
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
Anyone else playing this?

It is easily the best game I have played in the past few years on par with The Last of Us, Skyrim, and GTA 5.

I dumped over 80 hours into my first playthrough and some maps are still virtually unexplored. I was really surprised by the sheer amount of content in this game. The only thing that is lacking is that the main storyline leaves something to be desired, but this game is more about the subtleties. Side quests, character missions, exploring, and of course, building the Inquisition.

This is the fist game in a long time that's totally blown my mind and shattered my expectations. I wasn't sure what to expect after Dragon Age 2 which, for all intents and purposes (especially compared to the 1st one) was something of a failure. Bioware and EA have outdone themselves here. If you haven't played this game yet, you need to go out right now and buy it.

__________________
Image
Awesome Squall sprite courtesy of Goten! Check here if you'd like a runescape or game-themed sprite!
Hidden: 
Jackstick wrote:
bluecoat is the tracker, Market Man6 is the detective, Paidea is the watcher, Super Saiyan Goku is the Doctor, Stone Cold Steve Austin is the Janitor, and I'm the Godfather.


Top
 Profile YIM 
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 7:36 am 
Count
Count
User avatar

Joined: September 10th, 2013, 12:28 pm
Posts: 484
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
I just got it recently. Im about 28 hours in and feel like I haven't even scratched the game yet. Aside from the occasional weird bugs this game is great.


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 9:53 pm 
TES: Skyrim!
Village Elder
Village Elder
User avatar

Joined: July 23rd, 2003, 1:06 pm
Posts: 7,606
Location: Somewhere in Virginia
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Donor: Guardian (2011)
The Ps3 version is absolute horseshit. I have nothing but complaints about this game.

Texture popin
non-existant textures
weird sound-blast on my tv every hour or so
non-existant sounds
delayed sounds
freezing, which results in x time lost. Several times I just straight out didn't play the rest of the day.
impossibly difficult even on casual at beginning. I've nearly smashed my controller a few times just trying to do some things in hinterlands. I know now you're not supposed to stay there, but seriously...how can a bear kill your whole party when you have weapons and magic!? Let alone if u run away, it chases you to infinity and beyond! :anger:
Graphics ripped from DA:O, and actually look worse.
9 companions are nice, but gearing even 4 ppl is such a chore having to go through 100 different menus.
only 20 influence perks, which results in being able to get around 60% of the perks (i used exploit). Would be nice if you could get them all.
Having to collect every single god damn herb and ore you see because items can require 10+ of them easily. The first influence perk everyone should get is the 10% chance to get more herbs from each pick. Wish there was an upgrade for 50% or something though. It's fun to collect for awhile, but eventually becomes tedious.
Having to switch to a ranged member in order to hunt rams down in beginning. You'll have a hell of a time trying to catch them if you're melee (mostly warrior. Rogue has stealth and flank strike to catch up)


With that being said, still playing it -_- but it has gotten much better once you get to skyhold. I would have bought the PC version but taking a roadtrip for Christmas so I wanted something new to play with any downtime.

__________________
RV Dedication Drop Party IV
178th to 126 Combat - June '06.
Retired from Runescape and Runevillage.
Currently Playing - Pokemon Shield, Death Stranding, Breath of the Wild, Luigi Mansion 3
Add me on Ps4 (Alpr) or Steam (Alpr101) (more active on steam)!


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 7:55 pm 
Big, dirty shithawks.
Village Staff
Village Staff
User avatar

Joined: July 19th, 2004, 10:21 pm
Posts: 6,079
Location: Being white in Baltimore
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
It's definitely a little bit buggy but compared to Skyrim, Dragon Age runs as smooth as butter. You always have to give games of this scope the benefit of the doubt.

I didn't mind the texture issue so much, though it is really noticeable even on PS4. I thought the game looked incredible, especially the backgrounds and environments. The game did hard freeze on me maybe 2-3 times in 85 hours, and thankfully, the autosave feature pops really often so I was generally only a few minutes from where I crashed. The audio bug was probably the biggest annoyance to me, which reared its ugly head both during
Hidden: 
Hawke's quests
and my romance. It's a shame, especially when the game has very good voice acting.

I did notice the inventory thing to. It is stupid hard to gear your characters especially when you have a lot in your bag, but you do realize all you do is hit up or down on the d-pad to switch characters? Going through all equipment can be a chore. Especially at the end of the game when you are holding on to things (especially unique accessories useful in certain situations) and there is not storage chest. But it didn't really detract from the game.

I think the resource collection is fine, with the variety and scarcity a plus to the game. There isn't supposed to be an abundance of resources, which makes finding the rarer ones more exciting. And you have to ration them out when you are crafting. The truth of the matter is that the better weapons and armor found in the game are always (in my experience thus far) better than what you can craft. BUT the versatility of crafted weapons and armor makes them much better in certain situations, especially dragon hunting or boss killing. This does not speak of crafting potions, which gives you a distinct edge in the game but I didn't take much advantage of them on playthrough one. I will have to on Nightmare mode. You will find (and should have found in the Hinterlands with elfroot) that there is an abundance of certain resources in each map, which can lead to you getting several stacks without even trying.

Just stick with it. I remember being pretty pissed off at the 5 hour tutorial you have to endure before getting to skyhold but then the game REALLY comes into its own.

__________________
Image
Awesome Squall sprite courtesy of Goten! Check here if you'd like a runescape or game-themed sprite!
Hidden: 
Jackstick wrote:
bluecoat is the tracker, Market Man6 is the detective, Paidea is the watcher, Super Saiyan Goku is the Doctor, Stone Cold Steve Austin is the Janitor, and I'm the Godfather.


Top
 Profile YIM 
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 9:15 pm 
Count
Count
User avatar

Joined: September 10th, 2013, 12:28 pm
Posts: 484
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
I never had missing audio, but I did have some play over itself a few times. Also it took me 7 hours until I learned I could leave the hinterlands lol. By then I had 20+ power. I have also found things that are just way to OP for the area they are in. (Like that single rift in the north of Hinterlands, packs of bears, and the dragon I mistakenly found) I have noticed I can just throw jars of bees on things to hard for me and watch their hp plummet.


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 9:18 pm 
Priest of Saradomin
Priest of Saradomin

Joined: January 31st, 2007, 8:05 pm
Posts: 1,178
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
Alpr wrote:
The Ps3 version is absolute horseshit. I have nothing but complaints about this game.

Texture popin
non-existant textures
weird sound-blast on my tv every hour or so
non-existant sounds
delayed sounds
freezing, which results in x time lost. Several times I just straight out didn't play the rest of the day.
impossibly difficult even on casual at beginning. I've nearly smashed my controller a few times just trying to do some things in hinterlands. I know now you're not supposed to stay there, but seriously...how can a bear kill your whole party when you have weapons and magic!? Let alone if u run away, it chases you to infinity and beyond! :anger:
Graphics ripped from DA:O, and actually look worse.

Anyone know if the xbox 360 version has less of these problems? Still haven't gotten into the next gen consoles/now current gen consoles.


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 9:29 pm 
TES: Skyrim!
Village Elder
Village Elder
User avatar

Joined: July 23rd, 2003, 1:06 pm
Posts: 7,606
Location: Somewhere in Virginia
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Donor: Guardian (2011)
Landerpurex wrote:
It's definitely a little bit buggy but compared to Skyrim, Dragon Age runs as smooth as butter. You always have to give games of this scope the benefit of the doubt.

I didn't mind the texture issue so much, though it is really noticeable even on PS4. I thought the game looked incredible, especially the backgrounds and environments. The game did hard freeze on me maybe 2-3 times in 85 hours, and thankfully, the autosave feature pops really often so I was generally only a few minutes from where I crashed. The audio bug was probably the biggest annoyance to me, which reared its ugly head both during
Hidden: 
Hawke's quests
and my romance. It's a shame, especially when the game has very good voice acting.

I did notice the inventory thing to. It is stupid hard to gear your characters especially when you have a lot in your bag, but you do realize all you do is hit up or down on the d-pad to switch characters? Going through all equipment can be a chore. Especially at the end of the game when you are holding on to things (especially unique accessories useful in certain situations) and there is not storage chest. But it didn't really detract from the game.

I think the resource collection is fine, with the variety and scarcity a plus to the game. There isn't supposed to be an abundance of resources, which makes finding the rarer ones more exciting. And you have to ration them out when you are crafting. The truth of the matter is that the better weapons and armor found in the game are always (in my experience thus far) better than what you can craft. BUT the versatility of crafted weapons and armor makes them much better in certain situations, especially dragon hunting or boss killing. This does not speak of crafting potions, which gives you a distinct edge in the game but I didn't take much advantage of them on playthrough one. I will have to on Nightmare mode. You will find (and should have found in the Hinterlands with elfroot) that there is an abundance of certain resources in each map, which can lead to you getting several stacks without even trying.

Just stick with it. I remember being pretty pissed off at the 5 hour tutorial you have to endure before getting to skyhold but then the game REALLY comes into its own.


Oh I'm going to finish the game simply because I bought it. I'm enjoying it once you get to around lvl 10 and the game 'opens up'. Yes i Know you can go up and down on companions, but I constantly found myself going back and forge between the buy/sell menu and modifying gear to make sure to take off each attachments and make sure if i need them or not, forgetting to give a shield to companions, etc etc I just am going back and forth and back and forth -.-

Your last line pretty much sums up my experience. Once I hit around 10, I am enjoying the game much more.

Also found exploit to negate resource hunting as long as I have 2+ of them, which is funnily enough an exploit that was in Origins. :lmao: Resource gathering is fun until you realize you'll be making 100 different characters and do not want to do that in each playthrough....

Oh I can't believe I forgot my #1 complaint....LONG LOAD TIMES. With crappy graphics like this, why does it take so dang long to load stuff!? I don't understand -_-

__________________
RV Dedication Drop Party IV
178th to 126 Combat - June '06.
Retired from Runescape and Runevillage.
Currently Playing - Pokemon Shield, Death Stranding, Breath of the Wild, Luigi Mansion 3
Add me on Ps4 (Alpr) or Steam (Alpr101) (more active on steam)!


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 9:58 pm 
Count
Count
User avatar

Joined: September 10th, 2013, 12:28 pm
Posts: 484
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
I play on 360. Same problems Alpr listed, expect I haven't had any sound issues other than the double voice thing. I've only had bugs happen about once an hour or two. The textures not rendering all the way mostly sticks to cut-scenes. (It does happen outside of them, just not too often). Even with all the bugs, I still really enjoy the game. I imagine it will get patched soon. I'm pretty sure it sold good, so I doubt it will just be abandoned.


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: December 12th, 2014, 7:17 am 
Count
Count
User avatar

Joined: September 10th, 2013, 12:28 pm
Posts: 484
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
Just a quick note. I learned this Dragon Age has 40 potential endings. I wouldnt have belived it if I didn't hear it from Microsoft.


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: December 12th, 2014, 10:59 pm 
Priest of Saradomin
Priest of Saradomin

Joined: January 31st, 2007, 8:05 pm
Posts: 1,178
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
I'm surprised. Wasn't fallout like that? DA:O and 2 only had about 2-3 endings for the player.


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: December 13th, 2014, 2:38 pm 
TES: Skyrim!
Village Elder
Village Elder
User avatar

Joined: July 23rd, 2003, 1:06 pm
Posts: 7,606
Location: Somewhere in Virginia
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Donor: Guardian (2011)
DA:O had multiple endings. DA 2 didnt.

__________________
RV Dedication Drop Party IV
178th to 126 Combat - June '06.
Retired from Runescape and Runevillage.
Currently Playing - Pokemon Shield, Death Stranding, Breath of the Wild, Luigi Mansion 3
Add me on Ps4 (Alpr) or Steam (Alpr101) (more active on steam)!


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: December 13th, 2014, 11:40 pm 
Big, dirty shithawks.
Village Staff
Village Staff
User avatar

Joined: July 19th, 2004, 10:21 pm
Posts: 6,079
Location: Being white in Baltimore
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
Alpr wrote:
DA:O had multiple endings. DA 2 didnt.


DA 2 Most certainly had multiple endings but it depends on what you consider 'multiple'. I believe the outcome was the same, but the way the outcome was brought about could be different. Actually, I hadn't explored them all personally, but I am sure there are at least 2-3 distinct ones.
Hidden: 
depending on who you side with, of course. The Arishok line plays a part as well
Dragon Age 2 was a crappy game, but don't sell it *that* short.

DA: O had a good number of outcomes. And it really was a joy to explore them.

The newest one has potential hundreds of different outcomes if you consider different party member outcomes as part of it. As far as the Inquisitor goes, there probably are at least 40 if you factor in race, choices in game, gender, class, specialization, etc. If we don't nitpick there must be at least 4-5 distinct endings.

__________________
Image
Awesome Squall sprite courtesy of Goten! Check here if you'd like a runescape or game-themed sprite!
Hidden: 
Jackstick wrote:
bluecoat is the tracker, Market Man6 is the detective, Paidea is the watcher, Super Saiyan Goku is the Doctor, Stone Cold Steve Austin is the Janitor, and I'm the Godfather.


Top
 Profile YIM 
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: December 20th, 2014, 10:04 pm 
Count
Count
User avatar

Joined: September 10th, 2013, 12:28 pm
Posts: 484
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
Finally beat it. 44 hours in singleplayer when I finished.


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: January 8th, 2015, 8:48 am 
TES: Skyrim!
Village Elder
Village Elder
User avatar

Joined: July 23rd, 2003, 1:06 pm
Posts: 7,606
Location: Somewhere in Virginia
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Donor: Guardian (2011)
I think I'm finally done with it too. Probably have 200+ hours on ps3 but only finished one playthrough. Mostly made new accounts, slayed all the dragons, then started a new one lol.

Warrior is only class I haven't played as. Really boring in this game.

__________________
RV Dedication Drop Party IV
178th to 126 Combat - June '06.
Retired from Runescape and Runevillage.
Currently Playing - Pokemon Shield, Death Stranding, Breath of the Wild, Luigi Mansion 3
Add me on Ps4 (Alpr) or Steam (Alpr101) (more active on steam)!


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: January 8th, 2015, 9:07 am 
Count
Count
User avatar

Joined: September 10th, 2013, 12:28 pm
Posts: 484
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
I'm done after my nightmare playthrough. After that ill wait for updates and dlc. I think multiplayer is going to end up like mass effect 3. Which I don't mind. I'm still trying to get the poker cutscene though.


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: January 8th, 2015, 11:14 am 
Priest of Saradomin
Priest of Saradomin

Joined: January 31st, 2007, 8:05 pm
Posts: 1,178
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
Alpr wrote:
I think I'm finally done with it too. Probably have 200+ hours on ps3 but only finished one playthrough. Mostly made new accounts, slayed all the dragons, then started a new one lol.

Warrior is only class I haven't played as. Really boring in this game.

Same as in the other games? DA:O, i thought that the sword and shield champion was the most boring character to play as. Dual wield & 2 handed weren't much better. Rogue and mage could be fun, especially with the right specializations.


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: January 10th, 2015, 10:18 pm 
TES: Skyrim!
Village Elder
Village Elder
User avatar

Joined: July 23rd, 2003, 1:06 pm
Posts: 7,606
Location: Somewhere in Virginia
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Donor: Guardian (2011)
I found warrior decent in previous two games, but not this one.

In DA:I, each class has a more specific role and cannot be anything other than that really.

DPS = rogue
Support = Mage
Tank = Melee.

You can deviate a little with melee as a reaver though, but I found myself dying a lot using it.

__________________
RV Dedication Drop Party IV
178th to 126 Combat - June '06.
Retired from Runescape and Runevillage.
Currently Playing - Pokemon Shield, Death Stranding, Breath of the Wild, Luigi Mansion 3
Add me on Ps4 (Alpr) or Steam (Alpr101) (more active on steam)!


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: August 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm 
Priest of Saradomin
Priest of Saradomin

Joined: January 31st, 2007, 8:05 pm
Posts: 1,178
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
Thr wrote:
I just got it recently. Im about 28 hours in and feel like I haven't even scratched the game yet. Aside from the occasional weird bugs this game is great.

I feel the same. I'm 29 hours in and there are still 2 more areas to unlock, full of sidequests. According to some people, i'm 2.5 main missions away from finishing the game.


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: August 14th, 2016, 10:02 pm 
Priest of Saradomin
Priest of Saradomin

Joined: January 31st, 2007, 8:05 pm
Posts: 1,178
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
It was a good game, but i still think that Origins is better.
There are some other choices to make from other playthoughs, but the game feels too big to really replay to see a lot of different options since it would take a long time re-doing everything, including gaining power.


Top
 Profile
 

 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
PostPosted: August 14th, 2016, 10:02 pm 
Count
Count
User avatar

Joined: September 10th, 2013, 12:28 pm
Posts: 484
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Status: Offline
Petrifiedparrot wrote:
It was a good game, but i still think that Origins is better.
There are some other choices to make from other playthoughs, but the game feels too big to really replay to see a lot of different options since it would take a long time re-doing everything, including gaining power.

I agree with this for the most part, but I personally don't like to compare the two. Origins had that older RPG feel to it where the main story was an overall goal and the real seller was the adventure. Inquisition however keeps the main story urgent and really builds suspense for that linear story telling. So Imo if I had to chose it would be DA3 if it was only one play-through, and Origins if I was going through it 3-4 times. We don't talk about DA2.
Anyway on a similar note, I recently bought all the dlc for DA3 and have yet to play it. Should be a good time killer.


Top
 Profile
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 2
 [ 21 posts ] 
Go to page: 1, 2  Next »  Page:

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
The Village and this web site are © 2002-2012

ThePub 2.0 - Designed by Goten & Jackstick. Coded by Glodenox & Henner.
With many thanks to the Website Team!